Duckling with deformed head?

Isabella Mcadams

Songster
Apr 14, 2021
Hello all, can someone help please?
This duckling was just born, and breech, and has got this thing on its head:
87746239-E401-4890-9565-4DF6DDEF5BA2.jpeg

It’s peeping just fine, but unlike its siblings it can’t hold its head up and just flails around on its back. Will I need to put it down? And if so, what’s the most humane way of doing that?

Last edited:
View attachment 3427391
It’s peeping just fine, but unlike its siblings it can’t hold its head up and just flails around on its back. Will I need to put it down? And if so, what’s the most humane way of doing that?
I'm sorry, I don't think it can live.... I'm not sure if there's any chance, I'll ask others to come and advise. For now just try to keep it comfortable, and keep other babies away. I'll ask for more opinions but please prepare yourself for the worst.

What breeds are the parents? It looks like the baby is crested, which can sometimes cause problems like this.
With crested ducks, they are designed to have a ball of down on the backs of their heads, the reason this happens is because their skulls have a hole at the back. But sometimes this can cause problems with how and where the brain grows. Not sure if that's what's caused this, but just my guess.

Let me call some people in. @WVduckchick @azygous @casportpony

I'm sorry, I don't think it can live.... For now just try to keep it comfortable, and keep other babies away. I'll ask for more opinions but please prepare yourself for the worst.

What breeds are the parents? It looks like the baby is crested, which can sometimes cause problems like this.
With crested ducks, they are designed to have a ball of down on the backs of their heads, the reason this happens is because their skulls have a hole. But sometimes this can cause problems with how and where the brain grows.

Let me call some people in. @WVduckchick @azygous @casportpony
Mom is a kahki Campbell/ pekin mix. The dad is a pekin with a crest, so I guess that would explain it. One of the other ducklings also has a crest, but that one’s normal

View attachment 3427391
Side note, flailing on its back may be due to the more difficult hatch. It could be due to this deformity, but not necessarily. If you can, try to keep it from lying on its back, on its side is okay but keep an eye on it.
How long ago did he hatch?

Mom is a kahki Campbell/ pekin mix. The dad is a pekin with a crest, so I guess that would explain it. One of the other ducklings also has a crest, but that one’s normal
Okay, I do think my theory is correct then. Even with one parent crested, there is the possibility of complications for off spring.
I'm glad the other crested duckling is doing alright

Keep the little one comfortable and someone should be around soon to advise :hugs

Back
Top Bottom