Duckling with deformed head?

How should I go about doing so?
Sharp pair of scissors to the neck.. will usually create a cervical dislocation which is considered humane.. It doesn't usually take the whole head off.

Alternatively.. hard when so small.. the broomstick method.. place head under bar held down with your feet and pull on the legs.. head often pops completely off.. still considered humane.. whichever is less tramautic for the keeper is also part of what makes it "humane".

Sorry you face this! :hugs

So sorry this happened. Always a risk when hatching, but that doesn’t make it easy to handle. I also agree it was probably a crested gene issue. :(

The above methods are good for culling, that article gives good pictorial instructions.
For small chicks, I have used an older (strong steel) butcher knife across the neck. Wrap the chick in paper towel first. I hit the knife with a rubber mallet for a quick, humane cull.

I also use the ether method. I save old coffee containers, they work well for this. Outside only, well ventilated area! Spray a paper towel liberally with ether-based starter fluid, quickly put the chick into the paper towel, then put it all into the can, and put the lid on tight. Ether knocks it out quickly, and then it basically dies in its sleep within minutes. Less graphic and brutal, yet effective and humane.

Back
Top Bottom