Duckling with sore foot/feet

Sorry to hear it. Have you seen any improvement yet? Ducks are very resilient and heal well with treatment. Hope they get better!
fl.gif

Thanks for the support. No real improvement yet but not getting worse either, so hoping the treatment has stopped the infection from spreading and well will notice some positive healing signs in the next few days. They are certainly both very happy and healthy otherwise, and showing no signs of discomfort anymore so hopefully that's a good sign.

Is this something ducks just get or could they have picked it up from the chook pen? Chook pen is reasonably large, doubling as our orchard as we discovered chooks are a great natural insecticide for fruit trees. Haven't had to spray for the usual fruit tree pests the last couple of years since putting the chooks in the orchard. They have all but eradicated codling moth and woolly aphids!. I would say the ground of the chook pen is fairly 'clean' if that's possible.

Ducks have been roaming free around the yard during the day and putting themselves to bed in a cage that they started out in at night. So cute how they just put themselves to bed when the sun starts to set. Just wondering if it safe to put them back in with the chooks at night in the future or should they continue to have their own bed indefinitely???

Good, if they're no longer showing signs of discomfort, I'd say that's improvement. Thankfully, I've never had any foot issues with my ducks. I'll tag some other members that are much more knowledgeable.

@jtn42248
@Miss Lydia
@Amiga

ya.gif
Looks like we have saved Bob's feet!!!! Noticed this afternoon that the very tiny black dot on the left foot has fallen out leaving a pin prick hole and the larger necrotic area on the right foot is falling out. It will leave a hole about 2mm X 3mm in the webbing just to the right of his middle toe. Will this affect his ability to swim at all? Will keep going with the treatment of regular foot soaks alternating in betadine and Epsom salts, salvon cream 2-3 times a day, (cetrimide/chlorhexidine), oral cephalexin twice a day at a dose of 45mg per pound and our homemade slippers at night until we go away on Thursday. Will only be gone for 2 nights and my brother will be feeding all the animals but can't expect him to do the above treatment and now it's looking like Bob will be fine to stop the treatment by then anyway.
celebrate.gif

ya.gif
Looks like we have saved Bob's feet!!!! Noticed this afternoon that the very tiny black dot on the left foot has fallen out leaving a pin prick hole and the larger necrotic area on the right foot is falling out. It will leave a hole about 2mm X 3mm in the webbing just to the right of his middle toe. Will this affect his ability to swim at all? Will keep going with the treatment of regular foot soaks alternating in betadine and Epsom salts, salvon cream 2-3 times a day, (cetrimide/chlorhexidine), oral cephalexin twice a day at a dose of 45mg per pound and our homemade slippers at night until we go away on Thursday. Will only be gone for 2 nights and my brother will be feeding all the animals but can't expect him to do the above treatment and now it's looking like Bob will be fine to stop the treatment by then anyway.
celebrate.gif

yesss.gif
Thanks for the update! That's great news! I think they can heal small holes in their webbing. It just takes time. You did a great job with the treatment. Travel safely!

Back
Top Bottom