Duckling won't stop crying

lina500

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Cambodia
I've got six muscovy ducklings that are about 18 days old. In the last few days, one of them has started sounding off all the time. Like, cheep cheep cheep for an hour straight, several times a day. I am not used to muscovies, so I am not sure if this is normal, but I assume not. I have inspected the duckling several times and cannot find anything that appears to be the matter. He (or she) doesn't seem to be hurt, and otherwise is behaving normally. I have noticed that sometimes this duckling sits a bit further away from the other five, but even when he is cuddled up with them he will start crying.

Any suggestions? I'm worried something may be wrong, but I have no idea what it could be.

I have a similar issue, where my (imprinted on me) Muscovy duckling is crying. Wether she's on my lap, on the table facing me, or on my shoulder, she's constantly crying. I can cover her with my hand and she'll calm down a little. But should I be concerned she has a health issue?

I've got six muscovy ducklings that are about 18 days old. In the last few days, one of them has started sounding off all the time. Like, cheep cheep cheep for an hour straight, several times a day. I am not used to muscovies, so I am not sure if this is normal, but I assume not. I have inspected the duckling several times and cannot find anything that appears to be the matter. He (or she) doesn't seem to be hurt, and otherwise is behaving normally. I have noticed that sometimes this duckling sits a bit further away from the other five, but even when he is cuddled up with them he will start crying.

Any suggestions? I'm worried something may be wrong, but I have no idea what it could be.
what is the temp in the brooder? Could it be that he's imprinted on you?

I have a similar issue, where my (imprinted on me) Muscovy duckling is crying. Wether she's on my lap, on the table facing me, or on my shoulder, she's constantly crying. I can cover her with my hand and she'll calm down a little. But should I be concerned she has a health issue?
having a single duckling means it will be imprinted on you. You are its flock they instinctually want to be with others. It's always best to have at least 2-3 ducklings raised together. 3 is best then if something was to happen to one they still have each other. If your duckling is eating drinking and pooping normally then it probably just wants your attention. You might try a mirror and a stuffed animal with it. Or seriously think about getting your duckling a flock mate. :welcome

having a single duckling means it will be imprinted on you. You are its flock they instinctually want to be with others. It's always best to have at least 2-3 ducklings raised together. 3 is best then if something was to happen to one they still have each other. If your duckling is eating drinking and pooping normally then it probably just wants your attention. You might try a mirror and a stuffed animal with it. Or seriously think about getting your duckling a flock mate. :welcome
But the duckling is still crying even when they are holding them. When they imprint, don't they usually stop crying when they you hold them and spend time with? Or is that not always true?

@Legomenchi this thread was a really old thread from 2015. In the future, it is better to start your own thread for an issue, because people don't always notice people looking for help in older threads. Fortunately someone noticed your post.

But the duckling is still crying even when they are holding them. When they imprint, don't they usually stop crying when they you hold them and spend time with? Or is that not always true?

@Legomenchi this thread was a really old thread from 2015. In the future, it is better to start your own thread for an issue, because people don't always notice people looking for help in older threads. Fortunately someone noticed your post.
It's very likely crying for her because of having imprinted, but could be a little cold. My ducklings would fuss and peep until I dropped them into a pouch like scarf so that they could snuggle up to my neck. If I simply put them on my lap, they wouldnt usually be warm enough.
It could be a combination of wanting to be close/being a bit cool.

Ok, thanks👍

Back
Top Bottom