ducklings born with leg bent please help

zachbelle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
my ducklings finally hatched yesterday they all hatches on their own. three of them have a leg that is bent. it is bent as if they were laying almost as if it is stiff from being in the shell but they cannot straighten them and im not sure what to do other than this they seem happy and healthy and bright eyed. any advice?

i cant get it to upload a photo i only have access to the internet thru my phone. it allows me to pick a picture and then says "embedding image" and does nothing...

ive heard people say to splint it but i cannot straighten it in fear of breaking it...ive been letting them swim in warm water several times a day for a few minutes at a time in hopes that water therapy will help but so far its not and i fear they may have to be culled they get around OK as little chicks but im not sure they would as larger birds. if thia is fixable i want to fix it!

ive heard people say to splint it but i cannot straighten it in fear of breaking it...ive been letting them swim in warm water several times a day for a few minutes at a time in hopes that water therapy will help but so far its not and i fear they may have to be culled they get around OK as little chicks but im not sure they would as larger birds. if thia is fixable i want to fix it!
I wish I could hep but probably an avian vet would be your best bet, If the lil ones where hatched like this then the leg maybe fused and not fixable except with vet help and not sure what they could do. I know you want to fix it did you go to Poultry pedia and look for info?

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited:
Hello! one of my chicks hatched with the same problem but i caught it late at day 9. it might be a manganese malnutrition passed down from the parents. i would definately start them on a vitamin supplement right away as this may help if done early. make sure the supplement has manganese in it. you can also try splinting with vet wrap, which can help. don't make it too tight, though I've never had a problem using it. i hope your chicks get better!

Back
Top Bottom