Ducklings Run Away When trying to transfer them

patrickftobin

Chirping
Jul 7, 2022
Hi there, I’m new to the site. I have 5 Rouen ducklings (8 days old) that have warmed up to
Me since I got them Friday. They eat crumbles from my hand and nibble at my fingers, I’m talking to them a lot since I work from home and their brooder is in my office with me all day. A couple of them have let me hold them, without peeping or crying. I’ve been very gradual and minimal with the handling.

But, when it comes time for me to clean their brooder (a kiddie pool) and transfer them into a big plastic tote temporarily, they flee from me and squeal when I try to pick them up to move them, and it’s very hard to corral them since it’s a kiddie pool. I find myself going in circles and they run the opposite way. I am worried I am scarring them bc I have to pick them up any way possible so I can clean their brooder.

Is there any advice for how to calm them when doing this? I’ve tried giving them puréed peas but when they know they’re being picked up they flee and peep sadly and lose interest in the peas.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

The only thing I know to do might sound silly. And I’m only on my second year with ducks. But I say the same exact things to them each time I’m doing something.
When it’s time for bed, I herd them that direction, while telling them “It’s time for night night.” When it’s time for food, I ask them, “you want your food?”
They get really used to the routine stuff. They are very intelligent. It takes time, but they learn it.

Do you have any way of herding them into something rather than having to pick then up? I find they respond much better to that.

The only thing I know to do might sound silly. And I’m only on my second year with ducks. But I say the same exact things to them each time I’m doing something.
When it’s time for bed, I herd them that direction, while telling them “It’s time for night night.” When it’s time for food, I ask them, “you want your food?”
They get really used to the routine stuff. They are very intelligent. It takes time, but they learn it.

Do you have any way of herding them into something rather than having to pick then up? I find they respond much better to that.
That’s a good call! Maybe I can use a small box for now, they are growing fast but that could work, to herd them into a box and then scoop the box out. Thank you! I’ll give that a try :)

I would try not to take it personally. It is their natural instinct to try to escape from perceived danger. Setting up a routine will certainly help, but some ducks will never be comfortable being handled. It might help to spend some time sitting quietly beside their pool but making no move to catch them, later dangling your hand into the pool. In the meantime, could you slowly tip the pool so they can jump out on their own?

Back
Top Bottom