Ducklings still absorbing yolk?

Climax

Songster
Aug 3, 2020
Southern Utah
My 4 mandarin eggs have been internally pipped for about 3 days and externally pipped for about 43 hours, but based on what I read they are still absorbing their yolk.

All 4 of them Keep nibbling at the air and opening their bills really wide, I've read this as a sign that they are absorbing their yolk. Is it possible that they could still absorbing their yolk after 2 days pipped, it's day 32.

Kept a steady temperature of 99.5 and humidity at 57% on day 1-25 and 75% since day 25.

When or how can I tell for sure if I should intervene.

As long as they can breathe they are fine. Ducklings can go 48 hours from external pip to unzipping so don't panic yet. It definitely sounds like they are still absorbing their yolk and you don't want to interfere before that stage is complete. They will become more active when they are ready to hatch.

This is an excellent thread (it's just the first post you need to read as it's more like an article) and it applies to all birds even though it's in the Goose forum. It explains how you can candle to see if the yolk has been absorbed, amongst all the other excellent information:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

I sure hope they hatch soon for you - the waiting is torture!

As long as they can breathe they are fine. Ducklings can go 48 hours from external pip to unzipping so don't panic yet. It definitely sounds like they are still absorbing their yolk and you don't want to interfere before that stage is complete. They will become more active when they are ready to hatch.

This is an excellent thread (it's just the first post you need to read as it's more like an article) and it applies to all birds even though it's in the Goose forum. It explains how you can candle to see if the yolk has been absorbed, amongst all the other excellent information:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

I sure hope they hatch soon for you - the waiting is torture!
We got them and my last normal colored mandarin just started zipping
KIMG0498.JPG

KIMG0494.JPG

Back
Top Bottom