Ducks 2015!

Christin

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 18, 2013
Lets talk ducks in 2015!
How many ducks do you have?
Are you planning on buying or hatching more?
Are you planning on using an incubator or letting your hens hatch the eggs?
What are your duck goals for 2015?

Lord willing, we will add two or three more Runner girls less than 3 years old. Waiting to see if there will be some for adoption or if I will be raising littles again after so long.

I have 8 girls and 2 males.
4 female Welsh Harlequins
1 female Cayuga
1 female Khaki Campbell
1 female Pekin
1 female Buff???
1 male Pekin
1 male Buff???

I am guessing on the buffs. I would like to add four more WH females and one male WH so that I can hatch some purebred WH's. I would prefer to add adults. Ducklings are cute but stinky and messy! :)
However, adding ducks will mean enlarging the pen that was enlarged last year and enlarging the coop we just finished building. So I'm not sure, I think my hubby's head would explode if I told him we were going to add more. :)

I would like a couple more guineas. Last summer I started with 6 keets had one pass away within a week or two. It seemed sickly from day one. One was caught by a predator and one flew into a tree and killed itself. :(

I'm not sure if three are enough to eat all the bugs in my garden and woods.

I have 8 girls and 2 males.
4 female Welsh Harlequins
1 female Cayuga
1 female Khaki Campbell
1 female Pekin
1 female Buff???
1 male Pekin
1 male Buff???

I am guessing on the buffs. I would like to add four more WH females and one male WH so that I can hatch some purebred WH's. I would prefer to add adults. Ducklings are cute but stinky and messy! :)
However, adding ducks will mean enlarging the pen that was enlarged last year and enlarging the coop we just finished building. So I'm not sure, I think my hubby's head would explode if I told him we were going to add more. :)

I would like a couple more guineas. Last summer I started with 6 keets had one pass away within a week or two. It seemed sickly from day one. One was caught by a predator and one flew into a tree and killed itself. :(

I'm not sure if three are enough to eat all the bugs in my garden and woods.
don't know where in Western NC you are but Duck Dance Farm here in Yancey Co. raises WH

@Miss Lydia They are three hours from me. I am outside of Charlotte.
I don't think they have any adults left. I dragged my feet and missed out.
idunno.gif

I follow them on Facebook and will be watching for extra adults.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia They are three hours from me. I am outside of Charlotte.
I don't think they have any adults left. I dragged my feet and missed out.
idunno.gif

I follow them on Facebook and will be watching for extra adults.
They have nice ducks I got my 2 goslings from them last June.

I have a drake that was hatched in May 2014 that I am looking to sell. I have one too many drakes. He is hatched from Holderread stock. Can post pics if interested.

Hiya! I have 5 Pekin ducks, two are around 8 weeks old (I think? Will have to check!), not sure if they are girls or boys yet but I suspect one of each. They live outside in their duck run, happy creatures! 3 wee ducklings ( 2 weeks old) are currently in their brooder in the laundry.

Another 3 eggs (Pekin crossed with something) in the incubator, due in a week, and 10 Runner Duck eggs that are going in the incubator tomorrow. I'm rather fond of these duckies, they make lovely pets.

I have 4, 5 week old ducklings and while I would to add a Cayuga and a Magpie in the spring I don't think we have room. I would also love 2-3 chickens and I know that would just be too much for my neighbors and I don't want our place to start smelling. I already have 3 dogs and a cat so it will have to wait.

Last edited:
This spring I am ordering 10 Rouens from Cackle Hatchery; they will be strait run so I hope that I get a good ratio! By this time next year I hope to have them laying some eggs so I can collect them and start hatching! But I will be patient; I know that ducks take time and lots of clean up! Rouen are my favorite ducks bc they are sweet, interesting birds.

Back
Top Bottom