Ducks and chickens together?

Chick_Crazy

Chirping
Jan 22, 2022
Hey y'all! Just wanted to get some advice about keep ducks and chickens in the same flock. I know it's done, but before I do it, I want to know if there are any items I should know that may cause harm to my hens. I've heard of things like male ducks breeding hens, and it causing problems with the hens? I don't have ducks yet, but am looking to get some in the spring. I want to make sure I do the right things before I get any😅 The ideal situation would be just female ducks with my flock of hens, but if I do happen to get a male, I want to know what I will be up against. Thanks guys! ♥️

It really depends. If you have the minimum recommended space I would not recommend cohabitation between ducks and chickens. They are just too different and need their own space to establish their own flocks. However, with enough space and docile birds it is possible. My
drakes are kept separately from my chickens at night, but have been technically free ranging together on 30 acres during the day. My ducks want absolutely nothing to do with the chickens. I'm not worried about it ever potentially happening since my drakes are also terrified of the chickens, BUT it is an individual case-by-case basis. Before I got back into chickens I had a Runner drake and that thing would mate anything that moved (he even tried it with the dog🤦). I did not even trust that drake alone with the other ducks which resulted in him being dinner. So it is possible yes, but you have to have adequate space so the individual flocks can have theor space, know the personalities of the birds and be able to still keep an eye on things. Many people have done it successfully and many people have had issues.

Last edited:
I have 6 ducks with 15 chickens. They all share a coop, run, and fenced yard. The only thing I can advise is:
  • Be careful with drake's as they have been known to mate with chickens and cause lots of harm. I only have female ducks, so I don't speak from experience
  • Make sure there is a way for chickens to get out of any swimming water you have for the ducks

Hi! I know this is an older thread but I was curious if anyone had any further advice on this? We've had chickens for awhile but decided to get ducks this year so we upgraded our coop. We now have 2 4x8 coops with a share run in the middle. One coop for the ducks and one coop for the chickens. I have had my 7 week old ducks in their new enclosure for about 2 weeks. For the first week, we had a temp fence up splitting the run so that the ducks and chickens could not get to each other. We took the fence down a week ago and things seem to be going fine but they do not seem to like each other. In fact, they seem scared of each other and do not like to all be out in the run at the same time. Any way to help this? I've seen lots of happy mixed flocks online.

I had a Rouen drake that tore up a silkie hen while they were all out together. Had to put her down unfortunately a week later a neighbors dog came while we were gone and killed all my ducks.
Do you mean literally tore her up or just tore up the feathers?

Back
Top Bottom