Ducks and geese

BrandyLei

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2015
Kansas
Hello! I'm from Kansas and have 3 female mallards, 2 female pekins, and a male African goose (hoping to be able to pick up a female Embden? goose this weekend).
I am entirely new to having ducks and geese as pets, and entirely excited about it!
In March, I went to Orscheln's with the intention of getting three Pekin ducks. My boyfriend wanted mallards, so we got three of each, and all of them turned out to be females.
My ducks have been free-range all summer. They have a pen they go into at dusk all on their own, and they wander around the farm during the day. They have brought me endless entertainment!
I was given a male African goose last week. His flock of 6, to include his mate, was killed by a predator in one night. I wasn't quite prepared for having a goose, as fat as rsee arch goes. I'm working on getting another goose for him as he is (I think) incredibly lonely. On the upside, Dexter, as he is now called, has become friends with our Great Pyrenees puppy, Mack. Dex follows him whenever he's around the house.
We have two Great Pyrenees, 10-year old Rocky and 6 month old Mack. Rocky alone is perfect at protecting the farm at night -- except from my German Shepherd, who has killed a pekin, and from the great horned owls that kill my cats. Ricky keeps away coyotes, and kills any foxes, racoons and badgers that come near. He protects our kids, our cows and calves, our birds and our cats.
Sorry, got off on a Rocky tangent -- but he really is amazing!!
I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. So sorry to hear of your recent losses. I love dogs and especially enjoy hearing of the benefits of having a LSGD. I'm sure in time Max will follow in Rocky's paw prints. Have you discovered the Duck & Goose threads in the "Other Backyard Poultry," forum?

welcome-byc.gif

You might enjoy chatting with other members in KS. Here's a link to the state thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248925/consolidated-kansas

Good luck with all your animals!

Back
Top Bottom