DUCKS ARE STARTING TO PIP ABOUT 2 DAYS EARLY. SHOULD I LOCK DOWN? HELP PLEASE!

Keep us posted
I get the tired part
I’m on week 3 of a duckling full of life but can’t walk or stand much on his own. He had 2 air cells blocking his growth area and his hatch was a nightmare. But his will to thrive keeps me driven to help
Feeds every 2-3 hours I have to be with him as he can’t stand ti get himself to the dishes
We had made some big headway then he took a major growth spurt and we Went back to square one for a week now we are slowly starting again. His X-rays show bone deficiency and low muscle that’s why we are struggling. Vet thinks his egg caused this with such little growth area
He also had a really bad curve in his neck
I’m one tired duck mom too
Oh no! I am worried about my next batch. Their air cells are worse than this one, and they take up a bunch of space. I am worried I will have to intervene on those hatches. praying he gets better ❤️

THANK YOU! I will try this instead. It's so healthy. I think the egg is just too hard. That sucker wouldn't budge at all under tweezers or a screw.
as new duck mommy said, twist the screw against the shell or use the very tip to scrape into it, if it is thicker than normal that could be why baby is struggling to pip the shell.
He could he running out of oxygen at this point, and it really would be good to do a safety hole if you can-
Be very slow and very careful, no pressure on the shell, dont try to rush or anything, even if it takes 5 or 10 minutes, just slowly make a tiny hole.
Congrats on all the hatches so far!! You've done a terrific job with these eggs! Hopefully the rest all hatch out soon!

as new duck mommy said, twist the screw against the shell or use the very tip to scrape into it, if it is thicker than normal that could be why baby is struggling to pip the shell.
He could he running out of oxygen at this point, and it really would be good to do a safety hole if you can-
Be very slow and very careful, no pressure on the shell, don't try to rush or anything, even if it takes 5 or 10 minutes, just slowly make a tiny hole.
Congrats on all the hatches so far!! You've done a terrific job with these eggs! Hopefully the rest all hatch out soon!
I scratched a portion off of the air cell. She is the only one that didn't hatch yet. All 11 are going to hatch and live. They are so healthy and happy. These were shipped and wobbly air cells.

I have another hatch next week. Pray for another healthy and safe hatch. The ducks are for our HOA ponds in the neighborhoods in Louisiana. We have 100 ducks at one pond. haha. New subdivisions want ducks and I begged to not go to tractor supply and buy sick birds.

Be very slow and very careful, no pressure on the shell, dont try to rush or anything, even if it takes 5 or 10 minutes, just slowly make a tiny hole.
We are assisting the final duckie because her shell is super super thick. Tweezers, high humidity and coconut oil. Do you think the blood vessels have receded since Shes been in the air cell for 48 hours or more?

We are assisting the final duckie because her shell is super super thick. Tweezers, high humidity and coconut oil. Do you think the blood vessels have receded since Shes been in the air cell for 48 hours or more?
are all the other babies out fully and doing well still?
Have you successfully made a safety hole? I would take a break if so, if she has air. If there is no progress 18-24 hours after you made the hole, then it will be time to make the next step.
here is a guide to assisted hatching

We have to assist the last one completley and I don't know how but we are doing our best to make sure not to hit any vessels and that she's absorbed all of the stuff she is supposed to. I guess at this point that is all we can do. Her egg was so hard and thick. Porr little heart. Pray she lives. I think she will.

#6 is currently in a cup in my shirt because my daughter took the shell off too soon and its yolk is out a little bit. How long does this take to go back in? I am so tired.

#6 is currently in a cup in my shirt because my daughter took the shell off too soon and its yolk is out a little bit. How long does this take to go back in? I am so tired.
Can you take a picture of the yolk left
Place baby back in the bottom of its shell place in a small bowl or cup upright with dry paper towel wrapped around to cover the egg and support baby and it’s neck
Place Back in the bator. You don’t want that yolk to dry or baby to have room to kick out or burst the yolk
If the shell is gone complexly place baby in a small Bowl with paper dry towel Around it to keep it still I added plastic wrap around part of the bowl not around baby’s face just to keep the air from drying out the yolk till fully absorbed

Can you take a picture of the yolk left
Place baby back in the bottom of its shell place in a small bowl or cup upright with dry paper towel wrapped around to cover the egg and support baby and it’s neck
Place Back in the bator. You don’t want that yolk to dry or baby to have room to kick out or burst the yolk
If the shell is gone complexly place baby in a small Bowl with paper dry towel Around it to keep it still I added plastic wrap around part of the bowl not around baby’s face just to keep the air from drying out the yolk till fully absorbed
My baby has no egg left and is in a dry paper towel in a solo cup. I have it supported in a tiny brooder to stay warm. The bator is so gross I wasn't putting it back in there. The yolk is about the size of a dime. The bird is active, so I put it in the brooder alone praying it goes to sleep and allows its body to do its thing. Just say some prayers. It's out of my control now.

Back
Top Bottom