duckduckgose

Songster
Sep 18, 2018
hi all, so I'm in New Zealand I keep a largeish flock of ducks, many 20 or so, and recently I've had a couple get something wrong with their eyes the first one over a month ago, who is largely recovered now although it appears to have left her blind in one eye. and a new one in the last week or so with the same symptoms and I'm really worried that it could be contagious, I have tried treating it with Terramycin powder but it doesn't seem to do anything.
I do have a bit of a problem with ticks at the moment and I am wondering if they might have something to do with it although I've had tick problems in other years and everything seemed to be fine.
I hope someone can help me out with this, ill attach some photos below.
20221220_184006.jpg
20221220_184024.jpg

Bless that looks uncomfortable. Have you tried using a saline eye rinse? there are recipes online just make sure you make up the one for eyes. Can you get Terramycin in ointment?

Have you found ticks embedded around their eyes? or anywhere else on them? Any other symptoms like discharge from nares, coughing or rattling when breathing?

Foamy eye can be a sign of mycoplasma (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Flush eyes with saline or eye wash a couple of times a day and wipe off any crust or gunk. Use the Terramycin ointment after each cleaning. Erythromycin ointment or plain Neosporin is also good. If that doesn’t clear it up, an oral antibiotic may be used, such as Tylosin, oxytetracycline, and I think that you may be able to get Oxymav there.

Back
Top Bottom