DailyDucky

Hatching
May 15, 2024
Hey there, I have a female buff duck, almost 2 years old, who recently has started acting strange. We first noticed that when the flock would venture to the neighbors yard she would stop walking, drop her wings and wanted to be carried back to our yard. This is very unusual as our ducks do not like to be picked up or petted. We kept and eye on her and she perked back up, but she became one of the slower members of the flock when she had previously been very lively and quick. Yesterday she has stopped coming out of the pen with the other ladies in the morning, so I picked her up and walked her to the pool and food where they all hang out during the day and she just stood there not eating or drinking. I kept an eye on her and saw her standing alone in the middle of the yard looking for her friends, but they were all in our front yard and she wasn't follong them. So I brought her inside and gave her water and greens, which all the ducks love, but she didn't touch it. She also hasn't been quacking, just sort of opening her beak silently. We put her back our after a few hours, same thing, so we brought her back inside and soaked her in a warm bath. She had a few sips of water but that was it. Today she disnt come out of the pen at all and I set the food and water in front of her and nothing. She shows no signs of leg injury or being egg bound that we can tell. She doesn't have any wheezing as if she had a respiratory infection so we are unsure why the change, and we don't want to lose her. We feed them organic duck pellets and they free range on grass and bugs. They have access to plenty of water that is changed daily, we don't use any bedding in their pen so I'm not sure what to do. We also give vitamins in the food but she won't eat.

To anyone who finds this post- the update is she died this evening before we could get her to the vet in the morning. She started having labored breathing, we think it may have been aspergillosis but unsure.

Back
Top Bottom