Ducks snoring

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio
Can ducks even snore first off?

I was laying in bed last night about to fall asleep when I was hearing this peep. I thought it was my nose, so I held my breath (yeah I know I'm crazy lol), sure enough I heard it again.

It was coming from the duck cage lol. It wasn't like s/he was peeping. It was perfectly timed like s/he was letting out a peep while breathing.

I didn't know if this is a bad thing or if it doesn't matter. I want to make sure that I don't have to worry about respiratory problems or anything.

Please continue to be too cautious! But feel free to post about it. Ducks hide illness and injury so well, we cannot always catch something early when it is more easily treated.

Just continue to observe, and if it begins to concern you, even if it is just an instinct, check it out.

Doesn't hurt to give vitamins sometimes, or unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, or a little extra TLC. I thought we were losing Elfie when she was just a week old, and I would hold her and dip her bill in vitamin water and talk to her. Not that I am sure that was what did it, but she revived and is still with us today. Drei, on the other hand, always seemed fine, then one day was a little off. I gave her vitamins, antibiotics, extra attention, treats, and after about a month, we lost her.

So that is why I applaud
clap.gif
overly concerned duck caregivers. We cannot control everything, but often what we can see and sort out, we can help with.

Please continue to be too cautious! But feel free to post about it. Ducks hide illness and injury so well, we cannot always catch something early when it is more easily treated.

Just continue to observe, and if it begins to concern you, even if it is just an instinct, check it out.

Doesn't hurt to give vitamins sometimes, or unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, or a little extra TLC. I thought we were losing Elfie when she was just a week old, and I would hold her and dip her bill in vitamin water and talk to her. Not that I am sure that was what did it, but she revived and is still with us today. Drei, on the other hand, always seemed fine, then one day was a little off. I gave her vitamins, antibiotics, extra attention, treats, and after about a month, we lost her.

So that is why I applaud
clap.gif
overly concerned duck caregivers. We cannot control everything, but often what we can see and sort out, we can help with.
So they are a lot like horses. I guess being a prey animal, I can understand why they would hide illness.
I give my ducklings vitamin/electrolytes in their water daily. I have a pre-made 1 gallon contanier. They seem to really love it. They also get fresh regular water from the hose when they go out and play.

Since this is my first time, I've been keeping a "duck journal." It's has questions I have in it, supplies I use (in case I'm out shopping for them and forget the name), and weekly things I have noticed.

So they are a lot like horses. I guess being a prey animal, I can understand why they would hide illness.
I give my ducklings vitamin/electrolytes in their water daily. I have a pre-made 1 gallon contanier. They seem to really love it. They also get fresh regular water from the hose when they go out and play.

Since this is my first time, I've been keeping a "duck journal." It's has questions I have in it, supplies I use (in case I'm out shopping for them and forget the name), and weekly things I have noticed.
Great practice! I kept a duck shopping list . . . still do, I just incorporate it into my "go get" list.

Duck journal! I like that idea - why didn't I think of that? Would have been helpful in my first year of keeping ducks....and second...to remember when things happened in the first year. As for snoring, the ducks are the only ones in our family that do not snore! Thankfully! Sounds like a symphony of snoring around here sometimes.....two dachshunds and the husband....LOL

Duck journal! I like that idea - why didn't I think of that? Would have been helpful in my first year of keeping ducks....and second...to remember when things happened in the first year. As for snoring, the ducks are the only ones in our family that do not snore! Thankfully! Sounds like a symphony of snoring around here sometimes.....two dachshunds and the husband....LOL
It's turned out to be very helpful.
I've even written down some facts, and what to expect.

So far I've only noticed it once and from one duck (which one I'm not sure). It's not too bad, yet. I don't know how it'll be when they get older. I think the whole household snores here at my house lol.

Back
Top Bottom