Ducks vs HOA

May 6, 2022
Hello BYC, today I come to you all with a question involving my local HOA. I live in Spring Texas(near Houston) and have two wonderful drakes in my suburban backyard. Some context about my ducks is my friends found there eggs abandoned and I incubated and hatched them. I have had my ducks for over half a year now. Now my local HOA does not allow any farm poultry. I have never had any problems with the HOA and my ducks since I only told my next door neighbors and close friends I have ducks. Another reason nobody else knows is I live close to my neighborhoods residencial lake which has ducks and the sound my ducks makes people just assume it's the wild ducks at the lake.

But, even though I will probably never have HOA problems my concerns are that someone will figure out I have ducks and report me. So the question here today is how can I keep my ducks if my HOA finds out? I want to have a meeting with the HOA board about it or have a petition to own chickens and ducks (in moderation), but I feel like if I do that and they say no they might figure out I have ducks and take them away. So any thoughts?

Attachments

• image000000(5).jpg
    image000000(5).jpg
    722 KB · Views: 51
I personally wouldn't make trouble where there isn't any. Secretly, silently, have a contingency plan, sure. But I wouldn't raise an issue with the board where they don't even know the drakes exist. Drakes are much quieter than ducks, and since you've had them several months already I wouldn't stir up trouble for yourself, I'd just lay low.

Best way to change an HOA's rules is to get on the board. Find out how changes get made. Get signatures from your neighbors that they like your ducks or that they don't cause an issue. Look into the HOA rules and regulations and see exactly what rules you're breaking.

There are rule sticklers out there. They don't consider your emotional attachment to your ducks. Rules are their everything. Be careful who you share info with.

I think you might be doing a risky thing, having your ducks in an HOA. Fines may be in your future.

They are beautiful and I don't blame you for wanting to keep them!

Technically they are wild ducks, they just happen to frequently habit your back yard. Be careful with whom you share any info about these ducks, but frankly, they are a nuisance to you..... getting your nice clean kiddie pool all icky... you don't know where they came from....
Seriously, keep their feed in an undisclosed location - unless feeding birds is ok with your HOA. Then, you're just feeding the wild birds, who again, frequently habit your backyard and cause you to have to clean out your nice kiddie pool.... dumb ducks.... :D

I personally wouldn't make trouble where there isn't any. Secretly, silently, have a contingency plan, sure. But I wouldn't raise an issue with the board where they don't even know the drakes exist. Drakes are much quieter than ducks, and since you've had them several months already I wouldn't stir up trouble for yourself, I'd just lay low.
You make a good point.
When I suggested get on the board, I didn't consider that.

Best case scenario they never find out, and maybe eventually OP finds a non HOA duck friendly rural property to live at.

Unfortunately with the way real estate is going in TX, many of us are trapped in our suburban HOAs. I’m in the same boat just laying low. Drakes are so quiet, I think you can probably just fly under the radar. So far we’ve been lucky going on 2 yrs here despite the egg song!

Hello BYC, today I come to you all with a question involving my local HOA. I live in Spring Texas(near Houston) and have two wonderful drakes in my suburban backyard. Some context about my ducks is my friends found there eggs abandoned and I incubated and hatched them. I have had my ducks for over half a year now. Now my local HOA does not allow any farm poultry. I have never had any problems with the HOA and my ducks since I only told my next door neighbors and close friends I have ducks. Another reason nobody else knows is I live close to my neighborhoods residencial lake which has ducks and the sound my ducks makes people just assume it's the wild ducks at the lake.

But, even though I will probably never have HOA problems my concerns are that someone will figure out I have ducks and report me. So the question here today is how can I keep my ducks if my HOA finds out? I want to have a meeting with the HOA board about it or have a petition to own chickens and ducks (in moderation), but I feel like if I do that and they say no they might figure out I have ducks and take them away. So any thoughts?
DEATH TO HOA. do what u want. the ducks wont bother anyone. if they do, give them the reasoning that dogs bark too.

Back
Top Bottom