Ducks vs Texas HOA

May 6, 2022
Hello BYC, today I come to you all with a question involving my local HOA. I live in Spring Texas(near Houston) and have two wonderful drakes in my suburban backyard. Some context about my ducks is my friends found there eggs abandoned and I incubated and hatched them. I have had my ducks for over half a year now. Now my local HOA does not allow any farm poultry. I have never had any problems with the HOA and my ducks since I only told my next door neighbors and close friends I have ducks. Another reason nobody else knows is I live close to my neighborhoods residencial lake which has ducks and the sound my ducks makes people just assume it's the wild ducks at the lake.

But, even though I will probably never have HOA problems my concerns are that someone will figure out I have ducks and report me. So the question here today is how can I keep my ducks if my HOA finds out? I want to have a meeting with the HOA board about it or have a petition to own chickens and ducks (in moderation), but I feel like if I do that and they say no they might figure out I have ducks and take them away. So any thoughts?

Attachments

• image000000(5).jpg
    image000000(5).jpg
    722 KB · Views: 53
If you talk about it, it will draw attention to it. There isn't a way to claim it's for food purposes as drakes won't give eggs. They are pretty though. They do eat mosquito larvae. You could argue that it's eco-friendly pest control and even better since mosquitos transmit diseases your ducks are providing a service to imrove health. I lived in Galveston post-Ike and I would have loved any sort of mosquito control.

Hello BYC, today I come to you all with a question involving my local HOA. I live in Spring Texas(near Houston) and have two wonderful drakes in my suburban backyard. Some context about my ducks is my friends found there eggs abandoned and I incubated and hatched them. I have had my ducks for over half a year now. Now my local HOA does not allow any farm poultry. I have never had any problems with the HOA and my ducks since I only told my next door neighbors and close friends I have ducks. Another reason nobody else knows is I live close to my neighborhoods residencial lake which has ducks and the sound my ducks makes people just assume it's the wild ducks at the lake.

But, even though I will probably never have HOA problems my concerns are that someone will figure out I have ducks and report me. So the question here today is how can I keep my ducks if my HOA finds out? I want to have a meeting with the HOA board about it or have a petition to own chickens and ducks (in moderation), but I feel like if I do that and they say no they might figure out I have ducks and take them away. So any thoughts?
Talk about your ducks in past tense If you have the urge to talk about them.

Back
Top Bottom