Ducks with chickens?

TimCline

Chirping
Mar 31, 2016
Inez, ky
I want to integrate my two pekin Ducks into the same coop and run as my chickens. They have a very large run and I'm going to put a kiddie pool im for them. How and at what age would I go about doing so? They can already see each other through the wire. Just worried about one of my older chickens bothering them. Anyone do this successfully?

Last edited:
I know some do this successfully, I hope they can check in soon. Are both Pekins female? Having drakes in with chickens is dangerous for the chickens if the drakes try to mate with them.

It's a pair. How dangerous? Will the drake try to fight my roo? Because my flock rooster is a very large RIR.

Questions of getting along are, to my experience with introducing ducks, largely up to the individual critters.

I can see potential for your roo and drake having a conflict. Not a guarantee, but I would introduce carefully and make no assumptions that they will sort it out without aggressiveness. Springtime hormones can make it more challenging as well.

There are always exceptions . . . truly, it does seem to be up to the individual animals as to whether they will respect each others' space and females.

The drake could try to make your chicken hens and that is dangerous to them as boy ducks and boy chickens aren't packing the same equipment. A male duck when mating a chicken hen (if he trys to mate a chicken hen) could seriously injure/kill her just based on the incompatibility of the anatomy.

Back
Top Bottom