Dumor 22% Duck All Lifestages feed

My information is based on my experience. When temperatures dip below freezing all of my geese get hungrier and eat more. Early on when I had them, I had them on a 17% feed through the winter and they rapidly lost weight in the cold months and when they molted some of them got stress bars on their feathers on a 17% feed also, both issues corrected themselves when giving a 20% feed in winter and during molting. My geese are primarily 17 to 20lb Toulouse, and compared to the smaller buffs and romans they struggle on a lower percentage feed. My roman cross and buffs put on a lot of weight on in warmer months on a 20% feed as compared to my larger birds, they don’t have this issue if I limit their portions or have them on a lower percentage feed.
I never said Metzer’s guide was incorrect, only that their birds are in a much different environment than mine, Metzer’s primary goal is to sell poultry and their experience with keeping birds is different than others just like my experiences are different than theirs or others. They don’t experience severe winters like I do, and my winters aren’t nearly as extreme as someone in Minnesota or elsewhere, temperature does play a role in feed intake.
I do want to add since weather is mentioned regarding feed, I’m in central Texas zone 9 area. We get pretty mild winters and the extreme cold temps are very short such as anywhere from a few days to maybe a week at most in Jan and Feb. Honestly my birds appetites don’t seem to change and it never crossed my mind to change their feed during these months. They still lay eggs too. Usually I'm more concerned if they are getting enough to eat.

I do want to add since weather is mentioned regarding feed, I’m in central Texas zone 9 area. We get pretty mild winters and the extreme cold temps are very short such as anywhere from a few days to maybe a week at most in Jan and Feb. Honestly my birds appetites don’t seem to change and it never crossed my mind to change their feed during these months. They still lay eggs too. Usually I'm more concerned if they are getting enough to eat.

The main point of raising their nutritional intake with a higher protein feed in winter is because they’re burning more energy keeping warm in serious cold, lack of grass and sunlight can also compound the issue, they also need more carbs in winter too, and they start eating more as a result of needing more protein and carbs.
feeding them higher protein and carb percentages can help them get more out of their feed while not needing to eat as much so it can save on cost buying a 20% bag of feed vs multiple bags of a lower percentage. In summer months when they’re not laying and molting the extra nutrition isn’t really necessary, they aren’t using it.
Geese are generally pretty hardy though but with mine I’ve noticed prolonged cold wears on them and I have a few with sensitive immune systems and they’re the first to start having issues, I’m in the sierras on the north side of the hill so winters are usually frigid, muddy, with no sun for 4 months. If you’re in a milder climate and prolonged cold isn’t common then it probably isn’t wearing on your flock, that doesn’t mean that individual’s won’t have issues related to the season for whatever reason, like mine as I mentioned.

You can also just feed them 20% year round and not bother switching their feed so much depending on the season, it’s a lot easier, especially with a mixed flock of ages, sizes, and species which is why mine are on 20% feed year round, some of my smaller birds can just get chunkier on it sometimes, but they also happen to be binge eaters.

In some ways I think fluctuating climates are worse than bitter constant cold, if it’s frigid all the time they can adapt to it and it’s normal, but if winters are in the 30s one week, down to 20s for the next few, up to 40s after that and then to have the temps drop into the lower teens or lower for a week it’s chaos for their metabolism and that’s far worse.

The main point of raising their nutritional intake with a higher protein feed in winter is because they’re burning more energy keeping warm in serious cold, lack of grass and sunlight can also compound the issue, they also need more carbs in winter too, and they start eating more as a result of needing more protein and carbs.
feeding them higher protein and carb percentages can help them get more out of their feed while not needing to eat as much so it can save on cost buying a 20% bag of feed vs multiple bags of a lower percentage. In summer months when they’re not laying and molting the extra nutrition isn’t really necessary, they aren’t using it.
Geese are generally pretty hardy though but with mine I’ve noticed prolonged cold wears on them and I have a few with sensitive immune systems and they’re the first to start having issues, I’m in the sierras on the north side of the hill so winters are usually frigid, muddy, with no sun for 4 months. If you’re in a milder climate and prolonged cold isn’t common then it probably isn’t wearing on your flock, that doesn’t mean that individual’s won’t have issues related to the season for whatever reason, like mine as I mentioned.

You can also just feed them 20% year round and not bother switching their feed so much depending on the season, it’s a lot easier, especially with a mixed flock of ages, sizes, and species which is why mine are on 20% feed year round, some of my smaller birds can just get chunkier on it sometimes, but they also happen to be binge eaters.
Ok I think I understand and it makes sense. I’m trying to make sure I’m doing everything I can so my birds are healthy and not deprived due to ignorance. It’s so much information and it seems to vary at times with different resources. I don’t plan on increasing my flock. My 3 geese and 6 ducks keep me busy enough. There are a couple of breeds that appeal to me that I thought would be enjoyable but I don’t think I will go further than what I’m doing. My young geese’s issues keep me stressed out as it is.
I thank you and everyone on here who replies. It’s truly a blessing to get help and support from members.

It’s so much information and it seems to vary at times with different resources.
Yeah there’s a reason for that. Not a lot of people have geese, there’s less goose owners than duck owners and those are far less than chicken owners. There’s very little info out there, most of which is from owners personal experience and being honest that isn’t always great, you should never necessarily just trust someone’s word for something, even from me, I’m just a voice on the internet, and I could be wrong about a lot.
A lot of us have different methods for treating illness or feeding because we’re mostly going off of what we’ve learned from other goose owners or from our own experience, and unfortunately there are also people that will act like they know what they’re talking about but actually know nothing and have no experience with geese, I haven’t encountered that here but I have seen a lot of it on Facebook, instagram, and YouTube from wannabe influencers.
For actual medical and dietary information, there’s few resources and they do very quite a lot, most research for poultry goes to chickens being the most numerous animals raised for meat and eggs and being more common in backyards, ducks have much fewer studies, and geese even less, which is why there’s often no choice but to guess at drug dosages by basing it off of how one would dose a chicken.

It’s a.ways important to do your own research, collect as much information as you can from articles and other owners, and care for your birds the way you think is the best way.

Yeah there’s a reason for that. Not a lot of people have geese, there’s less goose owners than duck owners and those are far less than chicken owners. There’s very little info out there, most of which is from owners personal experience and being honest that isn’t always great, you should never necessarily just trust someone’s word for something, even from me, I’m just a voice on the internet, and I could be wrong about a lot.
A lot of us have different methods for treating illness or feeding because we’re mostly going off of what we’ve learned from other goose owners or from our own experience, and unfortunately there are also people that will act like they know what they’re talking about but actually know nothing and have no experience with geese, I haven’t encountered that here but I have seen a lot of it on Facebook, instagram, and YouTube from wannabe influencers.
For actual medical and dietary information, there’s few resources and they do very quite a lot, most research for poultry goes to chickens being the most numerous animals raised for meat and eggs and being more common in backyards, ducks have much fewer studies, and geese even less, which is why there’s often no choice but to guess at drug dosages by basing it off of how one would dose a chicken.

It’s a.ways important to do your own research, collect as much information as you can from articles and other owners, and care for your birds the way you think is the best way.

So true. I haven’t thought about the differences in the birds that way. I do a lot of reading and research hopefully on reliable and trusted resources but even so it can still get a bit confusing and overwhelming. As a last resort I like to get member’s opinion mostly due because many of you are pretty experienced and have been doing this a long time. I’ve only begun about 2 years ago so I’m still learning and have a ways to go.
Btw Sherbert seems to be walking so much better. Should I stop giving her the poultry cell now? In y’all’s opinion what would you do to keep being proactive to this issue? I wished I had sent the video. Haven’t gotten help on that yet but I’m thinking maybe send it anyway. Do a before and a now to see the difference. Maybe get some more feedback. Thanks again for the feedback and information.

So true. I haven’t thought about the differences in the birds that way. I do a lot of reading and research hopefully on reliable and trusted resources but even so it can still get a bit confusing and overwhelming. As a last resort I like to get member’s opinion mostly due because many of you are pretty experienced and have been doing this a long time. I’ve only begun about 2 years ago so I’m still learning and have a ways to go.
Btw Sherbert seems to be walking so much better. Should I stop giving her the poultry cell now? In y’all’s opinion what would you do to keep being proactive to this issue? I wished I had sent the video. Haven’t gotten help on that yet but I’m thinking maybe send it anyway. Do a before and a now to see the difference. Maybe get some more feedback. Thanks again for the feedback and information.
That’s great she’s doing better! I would keep her on it for another few days and then give her a dose once a week.

That’s great she’s doing better! I would keep her on it for another few days and then give her a dose once a week.
Ok-Sounds like a plan.
I watched her walk when I let them out this morning and she seems to be feeling so much better. But it still looks like she doesn’t put any pressure on her heels compared to the others. Almost on her tiptoes but not as bad as it has been.

Back
Top Bottom