Dumped duck

ginny_e

Songster
5 Years
Apr 8, 2018
Western Massachusetts
I see there are other similar threads, but any luck with catching a dumped duck that stays a consistent few feet away? Someone dumped a Moscovy where I work. It is in a beaver wetland, pretty remote location, next to a main road that people usually drive 50+ mph on. I stopped by and fed it a couple times, but it keeps just far enough away. It is also over an hour away from my home, so I can't just stop by all the time to check it. I was thinking of getting a cast net to try and catch it before winter sets in.

Also, being a moscovy (not a breed I am familiar with) any input on sex? I have a female Cayuga and male runner at home, so another male wouldn't work too well.

Attachments

• image_67556609.JPG
    image_67556609.JPG
    772.9 KB · Views: 93
Where are you? Muscovies are feral I many places and if they can fly generally have enough instincts to survive. Feeding him is a bad idea unless you commit to going (possibly with friends) and catching him. To survive in the wild he needs to stay away from people and cars. My flock is rescued muscovy drakes, but they were rescued from the wild as fluffy ducklings separated from Mama duck for various reasons, not as juveniles or adults. I'm in NE Florida and I leave feral muscovies unless they have angel wing or injuries that prevent them from flying and need attention.

Where are you? Muscovies are feral I many places and if they can fly generally have enough instincts to survive. Feeding him is a bad idea unless you commit to going (possibly with friends) and catching him. To survive in the wild he needs to stay away from people and cars. My flock is rescued muscovy drakes, but they were rescued from the wild as fluffy ducklings separated from Mama duck for various reasons, not as juveniles or adults. I'm in NE Florida and I leave feral muscovies unless they have angel wing or injuries that prevent them from flying and need attention.
Its in northern Massachusetts, once things freeze over he won't have a food source. It's been out for a few weeks, my coworkers saw another, but I haven't seen that one. I'm actually pretty surprised a coyote hasn't gotten it. When I've visited, it's come right up to me (but just out of reach) and wags it's tail a bunch.

They are such awesome ducks. My Muscovy drake never has anything to do with my Runner drakes. He would be beating the tar out of another Muscovy drake though. He also hasn't tried mating with the Runner and Buff females he keeps to his Muscovy females. Get him use to eating grain in front of a dog X pen or a dog crate and watch daily as you move the feedback into the pen or crate so he eventually goes all the way inside then you can close up to opening and have him inside. I rescued 3 Drakes from our MT river doing this I just kept feeding them and putting the feed further back into the pen until they just waddled in on their own then I was able to get them. I believe it took about a week. If you use a have a heart you will have to get someone to contact you if he gets caught so you can come and pick him up. I hope you can get him where your at doesn't sound like a place where he can survive over winter.

They are such awesome ducks. My Muscovy drake never has anything to do with my Runner drakes. He would be beating the tar out of another Muscovy drake though. He also hasn't tried mating with the Runner and Buff females he keeps to his Muscovy females. Get him use to eating grain in front of a dog X pen or a dog crate and watch daily as you move the feedback into the pen or crate so he eventually goes all the way inside then you can close up to opening and have him inside. I rescued 3 Drakes from our MT river doing this I just kept feeding them and putting the feed further back into the pen until they just waddled in on their own then I was able to get them. I believe it took about a week. If you use a have a heart you will have to get someone to contact you if he gets caught so you can come and pick him up. I hope you can get him where your at doesn't sound like a place where he can survive over winter.
Do you think it would matter though that i only have one female? I worry a bit too since I am pretty sure we got our male runner because my friend's male muscovy was picking on him.
I'm trying to work it out with a coworker on setting a have a heart, she lives a lot closer to where the duck is. Also was thinking of making a net with a hula hoop or just buying a cheaper cast net , which may be the best option since I am limited on time. I can't stop by everyday, the pond is too far away, so that is. Ery limiting.

I can comment on the Muscovy picking on the Runner drakes since my Muscovy drake has never bothered with my Runner drakes at all. As a matter of fact my 2 youngest Runner drakes who will be 5 months old on Nov 14th can get right in his face and jabber away and he just stands there looking at them. I would definitely add more females to your flock.

If you can catch him with a have a heart and your coworker can keep him for you that sounds like a good plan. I have a large fishing net to use if in ever needed to but it is mainly used to scoop leaves out of the pool. My drake has never flown only my females and they get one wing clipped after their big molt in the fall.

No, I tried yesterday with no luck. Someone else seems to be trying too, there is a crate there with the door open and some towels. When I left, I made a line of meal worms from the edge of the pond into the crate. I figured I'd help someone else's efforts too.

Back
Top Bottom