Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

Quote:
This is EXACTLY right . . .the eastern seaboard is lousy with them because of the travelers coming from Europe and they are riding in their luggage. If you stay in hotel, ANY hotel keep your clothes and luggage in the bathrooms, as BB do not like cold tile. NOTHING we use for bugs kills them, it has to be special mixed stuff. They can't stand heat, so steaming is a good way too. . .I just posted on here in another post to NOT pick up "soft" furniture along the road, because if its in "perfect" shape and its settling along the road, chances are there is something very unfriendly in there. BB can live 18 months without food or water, they cannot be frozen because they are like flies, they come back to life when warmed . . .they are evil little monsters, and this is honestly one time I question WHY they were ever created, because all they do is suck blood, and they want human blood above all other . . .college dorms are just infested because a lot of out of state students and the picking up stuff along the road . . .they scare me to death . . .cockroaches are evil too, but they have become #2 in my opinion as compared to the BB. IF you put clothes away, pack them in tight good trash bags, seal them tight and then seal them in tubs . . .they do suffocate. I think pyrethium might work, but its a short cure, not a total cure. I reseached them alot because a good friend of mine got them from a guy she had do an oil painting for her DS's Xmas present and unknown to him they were in his apt., and they got a free ride on the canvas to her house. She has had a nightmare year, but did it all herself to the tune of about $700 and relentless cleaning, steaming, and cleaning and spray she got online. She just said the other day she thinks they might have completely erradiated because no one has had a bite in weeks. . .I could go on and on, but trust me when I say its not worth bringing anything into your home that you aren't sure of. . .I wash every single thing that comes into my house now because of this . . .and have decided that if I don't need it, its gone. The little pests LOVE to snuggle in your stashes and your collections.

Ugh I'm super freaked out now! My favorite place to go on my birthday is St. Vinnys... I don't know if I can now this year. I cannot stand any type of blood sucking bugs.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

gig.gif

Quote:
Some people!
roll.png

well at least they were trying to help...
when my younger brothers and sisters were in school they ended up with free school lunches because the school didn't like the lunches my mom packed for them... instead of sandwiches she'd put in granola, peanutbutter sticks (anyone remember the "space food sticks"? her home-made version of that), fruit, cut raw vegies, and sometimes a slice of hard whole-wheat bread.

... the school folks thought it was weird and unhealthy...
th.gif
so, free school lunches all around.

Last edited:
I work in the scalehouse of a landfill so I see EVERYTHING that gets tossed. It just makes me sick the things that pass by here.
I'm trying to build a coop (for free) and when I see an entire trailer load of perfectly good 2X6's, or wire, or metal roofing - or an entire mobil home (!) - head to the back I nearly pass out. They make us sign a 'no scavenging' agreement when we're hired and can be fired on the spot if we get caught.... Of course, if it hasn't crossed the scale yet... it's not TECHINECLY trash yet is it...... I got an upright piano last summer when someone pulled up on the scale and said "Where shoudl I put this?" I told him to "circle around and put it right behind that little red truck over there." then went home and got my trailer at lunch. The manager wasn't happy... but it WASN'T trash.. the guy just asked where he should put it! LOL I wish I could get away with telling people to pull over and let me pick through their 'trash'.

Quote:
Do you have any friends who are scavengers? Maybe they can pick these items up for you? They haven't signed any agreement, so it would be ok for them to get these items right?

Quote:
Do you have any friends who are scavengers? Maybe they can pick these items up for you? They haven't signed any agreement, so it would be ok for them to get these items right?

I wish! If they go to the back and try to leave with anything, the crew is supposed to stop them and make them throw it back.. The idea is that it was thrown away for a reason - and we (the company) don't want any liabality if someone takes something that causes damage.... blah, blah, blah.
I HAVE told several of the "regulars" that I'm looking for any usable building materail and they've promised that it will 'fall off of their trailer' it in the parking lot before crossing the scale. One guy came in and told me that he was on his way to remove a 25' dock. I was SOO excited - envisioned a new deck behind my house.... but it turned out that there wasn't a single board with more than a couple of usable feet ... bummer.

Back
Top Bottom