Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I guess these could be called a hobby if you enjoy doing it and do it on a regular basis. Maybe we can begin a thread (if there isn't one already (I searched but couldn't find a thread on this topic.)) and everyone can post what "find" or "score" they found. It could be something you found at a garage sale, at the Goodwill store or anywhere else.

Whatever item you found, post it here.

Last edited:
My sometimes hobby is repurposing furniture. I was given a crappy oak entertainment center from the end of someone's yard sale (free)...It had a glass door on one side about 1/3 of the width, and the other was wide shelves about 2/3 of the width of the piece. The top left of the piece had nasty gouges and chunks taken from it that couldn't be sanded out or repaired, and the stain was chipping. We cut about a foot or so off the left side all the way down the height of the shelf, then replaced the side panel. I retrimmed it, sanded it, painted it a deep cherry red and sold it for $150 at my yard sale. Someone said they thought it came from Pottery Barn. I was flattered.

Going to dinner one night with the family, we came upon an old dining table on the side of the road. This thing was a THICK, round table, with a pedestal base and 2 leaves to put in it (making it 7 + ft long). It was covered in a funk that I don't care to describe should my breakfast come up. I hosed it down, scrubbed it up, sanded it, and decided that instead of staining it, I painted it a brilliant red, with a high gloss finish. I didn't want to sell it, so I sold our antique mahogany table ( a 10 + footer) and put the trash to treasure table in it's place. It has been 4 years, and we still use it!

The table with one leaf in it...
45758_dining_table.jpg

The chairs in this picture have a story of their own. Once the table was done, we had no chairs to go with it. We went to a furniture place and were looking at first at black ladderback chairs and similar. The sales guy comes up and says I have chairs you might be interested in. They were the black equivalent of these chairs on sale for $89 each. I said, I will not be paying that much per chair and I'm not sold on the black anyway. Another sales guy said we have 6 White ones in the back that need to go...for the same price. I said I will take 4 of the white chairs, but what deal will you give me? Sales guy 1 said they are on sale for $89 each (just like the black ones) but he can let them go for $62 each, but I must take all 6. I said I will take only 4 for $42 each. He looks at the other sales guy and shakes his head no. I said thank you for your time, and start to walk away. Sales guy waits 2 seconds and says, how about I will give them to you for $42 if you take all 6? BINGO! We have a winner, and I wanted all 6 anyway.
wink.png
As he was ringing me out, he said I got them for exact cost from what they paid. Brand new, HEAVY duty chairs. Not the BEST find ever, but walked away feeling pretty darn savvy!
big_smile.png

So we bought some material to build a chicken tractor... but hubby and I aren't the best carpenters... so he started trying to build one, and lets just say it wasn't happening. I went online and found a chicken tractor for $35! We picked it up immediately. It will need a little work (it has poultry netting for one), but we COULD use it as is. I'll try to post pictures later!

We also got cull lumber 2x4x8 for $1 each!

Too bad I have to work (or maybe good for my wallet) that I can't make it to Dinky's since you listed from SW Indiana I figure you meant your taking them there. BTW on a different note is I69 going through the area between US 50 and Odon????
Well then take off on September 7th cause that's when I'm going.
thumbsup.gif
I was last up there in February and when you are headed east on 50 from Washington, I69 does cross it and there is usually a State Trooper sitting there. I can't remember exactly where but between Washington and Cannelsberg. I think its pretty close to the tractor place along there.

I picked this up about an hour ago on my lunch break. As I was driving by this mechanic parts shop, this shipping crate was calling my name, so I had to turn in and answer. I went inside and asked the guy if they had any shipping crates that they wanted to get rid of. He said that he just got 1 in and if I wanted it that I could have it. So, he pointed to the shipping crate that was calling my name. He told me to back in and he would load it in my truck. It is PERFECT!!!! I was looking for something taller for my baby poults and this will make the perfect brooder. It's very light, so I can move it where I need it with no problems. :D

Last edited:
Picked up an economy folding table with chairs table. Will be used outside for BBQs and family gatherings. :D The table fit perfectly in my SUV, from the back door to the passenger seat. :oops:

I went to the dump friday and looked around to see what the attendant had salvaged from the compactor, not seeing anything I unloaded my truck and made a turn around the second compactor they have and spotted a pile of clay pots. The operator doesn't care what anyone takes so I stopped and helped myself to them. I got over 100 6in clay pots. Saturday I spend most of the morning transplanting the stuff for my garden.

Back
Top Bottom