Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

I think this is overkill but it was free. :/

This is some wood I got for free from a local tree trimmer. It is honey locust, hickory, cherry and oak. Since I heat with wood this was a great gift. The stacked wood now stretches over 110' and is stacked 6' high. I am still working on the big pieces as we speak. One big piece when split equals about half a face cord.

The brush get run through the chipper for wood mulch for the chicken run. An added bonus are the ants and termites that become chicken treats.

Okay, so my husband gets embarrassed when I ask for seemingly unwanted items. He refuses to stop if I spot something and has offered many times to buy me a car. My reply? I will accept a car but I KEEP MY TRUCK- I can't haul good finds in a car! An ad he said I shouldn't have placed for scrap lumber netted a 20'×20' building's worth of 2×4s and 2×6s that we have used to build an 8'×24' porch with roof and an outdoor brooder coop with a big stack of lumber left over. Lesson learned:)

Okay, so my husband gets embarrassed when I ask for seemingly unwanted items. Lesson learned:)
As a kid I was embarrassed by my Dad "garbage picking". He used to rebuild bicycles and actually made some decent money fixing them up and selling them.

Now that I'm old(er) I do some "garbage picking" of my own. I took in some scrap metal today and netted $35 for about 45 minutes worth of time. That was enough to pay for the chicken feed.
thumbsup.gif

They have a neighborhood clean-up every year where my sister lives. i've gotten some great scores there. But now there are people driving around with trucks and large trailers, scooping nearly everything the moment it hits the curb. That's fine, better than having things crunched up and taken to the dump. Went there yesterday and managed to find some nice and needed stuff. Four plastic chairs to use in the chicken pens, a sturdy wooden bench for us and the goats, a louvered door i can fix and turn long-ways for a short fence, then some lattice - one large piece of plastic lattice and two smaller wooden ones which you can't see in the pic. Also got the rails from a crib. My sister took the side pieces to use as a trellis for her plants. i took the end pieces to use as fencing or gates. When you have goats, you always need fencing material. :)

It's amazing what people will just throw away. I ended up picking a dog kennel out of the dump the other day, was all excited and had plans for a future chicken run, but ended up giving it to and setting it up for an elderly lady that I know that needed one for her dog when she goes to town.
Best find so far was a 32 inch flatscreen, that had a wall mount still on the back, that was just sitting at our transfer station. The cord was destroyed (for some odd reason) took it home with the sole intention of using that wall hanger to hang my small one on the wall. I replaced the part of the broken cord and plugged it in, and it works, still does to this day (a year later).
I'm very guilty of dumpster diving, my sister in law live in a big college town so we always ended visiting her when the college students are leaving for the year, and throwing lots of good things away.

I have a habit of picking up lawn equipment and other items on the side of the roads (with owners permission). It amazes me on how many things are being thrown out that just needs simple things like a spark plug, clean fuel, fuel lines ect. Made quite a bit of money that way and still using a lawn mower I found like this 8 years ago. Also found alot of fishing poles, tackleboxes and tackle in the garbage as well as building materials such as lumber , good sized sections of granite or marble counter tops, cabinets from kitchen upgrades ect.

My wife yelled at me the first time I done this until I finished repairing the Item and sold it, since then she left me alone lol

This is my haul from the Habitat for Humanity sale. They had all sorts of stuff and I'll definitely be going there again when they do another sale. This haul consists of a dremel grinder bit, three tiles that I'll either paint or use in some art project, super thick copper wire that I may use to sculpt something (OOOH maybe I'll make an egg spiral holder like I've seen some people here have!) a new in box sawhorse kit, a bunch of wood, a jar of copper bits that I have no idea what they're for but I'll use in some crafty thing or other, and best of all, a new in box Fi-Shock electric fence garden kit that I'll put up around my chickens! Total price $15, and that kit alone is over $100!

This is my haul from the Habitat for Humanity sale. They had all sorts of stuff and I'll definitely be going there again when they do another sale. This haul consists of a dremel grinder bit, three tiles that I'll either paint or use in some art project, super thick copper wire that I may use to sculpt something (OOOH maybe I'll make an egg spiral holder like I've seen some people here have!) a new in box sawhorse kit, a bunch of wood, a jar of copper bits that I have no idea what they're for but I'll use in some crafty thing or other, and best of all, a new in box Fi-Shock electric fence garden kit that I'll put up around my chickens! Total price $15, and that kit alone is over $100!

Awesome score. Good job! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom