Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

i was yard saling one day and it was getting later in the day. I was with my father and he was getting tired of it and wanted to call it a day. I said fine but i felt like there were a few yardsales we had missed so i went back searching for some on my bike. Ifound one and i went in to it and under a table was a hova bator incubator. i was pretty excited when i saw it but i got even more excited when i asked how much they wanted for it. All they wanted was $2 and it worked perfectly. I had been raising chickens before i found this incubator but a few weeks later i got some eggs to hatch and that was the first time i incubated, and now i am pretty much an incubating addict. Anyway i took this thing home on my bike and along the way a few other yardsalers wanted to buy it from me. Im so lucky nobody had found it at the yardsale before me. Maybe nobody noticed it under the table?

i was yard saling one day and it was getting later in the day. I was with my father and he was getting tired of it and wanted to call it a day. I said fine but i felt like there were a few yardsales we had missed so i went back searching for some on my bike. Ifound one and i went in to it and under a table was a hova bator incubator. i was pretty excited when i saw it but i got even more excited when i asked how much they wanted for it. All they wanted was $2 and it worked perfectly. I had been raising chickens before i found this incubator but a few weeks later i got some eggs to hatch and that was the first time i incubated, and now i am pretty much an incubating addict. Anyway i took this thing home on my bike and along the way a few other yardsalers wanted to buy it from me. Im so lucky nobody had found it at the yardsale before me. Maybe nobody noticed it under the table?

$2.00 for an incubator ????????????????????????????????????????? :celebrate :eek: :th

You hit the jackpot!! CHA CHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go! :thumbsup

Last edited:
My best ever was a coffee mug I picked up for a nickel at a rummage sale. Turns out it was a fairly rare collectible and it went on eBay for $325.

Our latest treasures include a very sturdy, heavy plastic playpen that has 8 panels about 30" wide each...it'll make an awesome exercise pen for our rabbits to get out on the grass...it was $8. Brought that baby home yesterday. We've also found several book case/shelving units out by the curb around town...they'll work great for storing my canned goods and canning supplies...only "expense" was getting them in the van :)

I have picked up many great deals over the years. I am an auction addict and actually became an auctioneer a few years ago.

Some of my most memorable scores:

A set of rare Tolkien books- paid 10 bucks, sold for 500.
100 brand new tennis racket covers- paid a buck for all of them and sold for $120
40 cases of foil hot dog bags like you get at the fair or ballgame- paid a buck for the lot and made 30 bucks a case= $1200
A bunch of boxes of clothing for 5 bucks- found a carved walrus tusk in one of them and sold it for $600

Friend of mine bought a bed at an estate sale for 20 bucks. Turns out the prior owner used the bed posts to hide his silver coins. He found over 400 silver dollars in the posts. Those coins averaged 35 dollars each.

My best ever was a coffee mug I picked up for a nickel at a rummage sale. Turns out it was a fairly rare collectible and it went on eBay for $325.

Our latest treasures include a very sturdy, heavy plastic playpen that has 8 panels about 30" wide each...it'll make an awesome exercise pen for our rabbits to get out on the grass...it was $8. Brought that baby home yesterday. We've also found several book case/shelving units out by the curb around town...they'll work great for storing my canned goods and canning supplies...only "expense" was getting them in the van :)
Whoa! Dang, that just gives me another reason to go to our local garage sales!
thumbsup.gif

Someone gave me this LONG security GATE with wheels. Uh, not sure what I will do with it though. :/ I guess I could get someone to cut it into 3 sections and use that for another pen door. :idunno

Last edited:
I guess this is the perfect place to post about my latest bargain. In no way does it compair with some of the rarities others have posted, but it was a money and time saver to me.

I needed more chicken coops now that I can keep roosters and plan on starting color-specific pens with my silkies. I found 2 little quail coops on CL, but he wanted $140. We were able to talk him down to $100 for both coops. These are the perfect height for my non-flying and non-perching silkie chickens.

Here is one of the coops before replacing the wire fronts with siding:

The best part was finding pre-cut, composite siding in the clearance bin at Home Depot for $1 a piece. I bought all 4 pieces available to repurpose the coops into chicken friendly spaces. The full sheet of siding normally costs $25 so I'm pretty happy with my find.

Back
Top Bottom