Duramycin 10 Dosage for 6 young chickens? Coryza?

cpuzz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Hello all,

I have posted here a couple of times because my first flock of chickens (two polish, two bantom silkies, a houdan, and a cochin) had mites and became sick right after I got them. I guess I was sold an infected flock. I treated one of them with Tylan 50 inj for three days because it's sinuses got blocked up and its eye started draining and became so swollen she couldn't open it. Anyway, her eye is about 98% better I would say. She still has a little bit of clear nasal drainage, but that is it. About three of my other chickens still have a runny nose, but they don't have any other symptoms. I have to clean their noses about twice a day because they get stopped up. Two of them have a funny smell to it. This made me think that it could be Coryza after reading more about CRD on here.

I was thinking about putting Duramycin 10 in their water. I read that 1 Tbsp should go in 1 gal of water. So I guess I could do 1 1/2 tsp in 1/2 gal of water for 5 days because I only have 6 young chickens. They are 6 to 8 weeks old. Does this sound like the right antibiotic and dosage to do in your opinion?

My chickens are eating and drinking okay, but I am worried that by using a water soluble antibiotic they might not drink enough which would make the dosage not therapeutic?

They are keeping me busy between trying to keep the chickens cool from all of this heat, and trying to get them well. I am thankful for a site like this that I can go to for help. I never realized all the problems you can have with chickens! I am loving having them though! They are so amusing. My little Houdan likes to perch on my hand, my knee, and my shoulder. lol

Last edited:
I agree that it sounds like coryza. You are correct, sick birds rarely drink treated water. You'll have to use an eyedropper to give the meds to each bird 5-6 times a day to be effective most likely. The normal treatment is sulmet mixed in water, then another antibiotic mixed in water. Are you prepared to nursemaid all your sick birds for a long time to come? They will be carriers for life as well. I recommend that you cull your birds, disinfect everything, wait a few months and start over. Here's a link for you, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and read about it if you wish. Then a link to duramycin dosage, the dosage is universal for all size chickens:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

Dawg: Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. When you say that chickens will be carriers for life. Does that mean that they will have a chance of symptoms popping up frequently throughout their life (during times of stress especially)? Or do you mean that they will simply be able to infect other chickens but should have no other symptoms?

Dawg: Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. When you say that chickens will be carriers for life. Does that mean that they will have a chance of symptoms popping up frequently throughout their life (during times of stress especially)? Or do you mean that they will simply be able to infect other chickens but should have no other symptoms?
Symptoms can possibly reappear at any time when stressed and they can and will infect other birds.

I've been dealing with what seems like a similar issue, except the clear discharge coming from my pullets smells like rotten death. I'm not comfortable with killing them all off. Since I don't breed, show or have any intention on selling or getting rid of them I just decided to treat it.

First, I got rid of the birds who brought it into my flock. You don't have to, but I was irritated with the breeder for selling them to me in the first place and wanted to show my displeasure. When I brought them back she was insistent that it didn't come from her flock, until I found seven birds in her coop with it. She didn't know, so I understand and have no hard feelings.

Anyways, I'm treating with Sulmet in the drinking water. Says on the bottle specifically that it will treat infectious coryza. I've spoken with my cooperative extension in town and they told me not to cull the birds. I could if I wanted to, but it wasn't necessary. I'm also treating with more oral antibiotics, cephalexin twice a day. So far the rotten death smell has faded to a wet dog smell and everyone seems to be getting better. It's only been three days.

I also bought the vaccine for coryza from Jeffers and will be vaccinating my entire flock. I've heard the vaccine, coupled with proper sanitation and good maintenance can prevent future occurrence. I'll also be sanitizing the barn with Oxine.

Good luck!

Eamoret: I'm sorry to hear that you have been having the same problem. I got chickens also not for the intention of showing, breeding, or selling them. I appreciate you sharing your experience. Did you start them on Sulmet first and then use the Cephalexin after? Or did you give Sulmet at the same time as the Cephalexin? What is the reason for using both? Thanks!

I'm experiencing the same thing in my birds,had to quarantine 3 today and I only noticed something was wrong because my gold laced Wyandotte roo had one eye closed. They each have various symptoms from closed eye,cough,cheesy ears and runny noses. I have started them all on cephalexin but where would I get sulmet ? I really don't want to cull.

I'm experiencing the same thing in my birds,had to quarantine 3 today and I only noticed something was wrong because my gold laced Wyandotte roo had one eye closed. They each have various symptoms from closed eye,cough,cheesy ears and runny noses. I have started them all on cephalexin but where would I get sulmet ? I really don't want to cull.
If you dont smell a foul odor enaminating from the head area from your birds, most likely it could possibly be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) MG and coryza basically have the same symptoms and birds can have both at the same time. This is why I recommend to cull rather than treat ongoing symptoms that will always come and go during periods of stress. I dont understand why people want to perpetuate these diseases...they are not like human diseases that can be treated and cured.

Thanks for your opinion Dawg!! As for perpetuating these disease I'm not even sure what I'm dealing with yet . I have quarantined 2x Roos & 2 x hens and tomorrow I am seeing an avian vet. FYI ,any medical journal will unveil 10s of thousands of chronic human diseases (that is a disease that persists despite treatment ) thank god we don't "cull " all asthmatics , for example.
It's very interesting to read the threads on this topic and sometimes very helpful,but I'm very wary of those who say cull now ask questions later....

Thanks for your opinion Dawg!! As for perpetuating these disease I'm not even sure what I'm dealing with yet . I have quarantined 2x Roos & 2 x hens and tomorrow I am seeing an avian vet. FYI ,any medical journal will unveil 10s of thousands of chronic human diseases (that is a disease that persists despite treatment ) thank god we don't "cull " all asthmatics , for example.
It's very interesting to read the threads on this topic and sometimes very helpful,but I'm very wary of those who say cull now ask questions later....
I agree. Trust me, I know about uncurable diseases in humans. Comparing chicken and human diseases is apples and oranges in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom