Durvet Penicillin Injectable Shelf Life

ShiviBear

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
New Jersey
Hello fine peeps!
I have a bottle on Durvet Injectable penicillin (penicillin G procaine suspension) that I purchased back in July and used several times on a hen attacked by a hawk.
I will be preforming severe bumblefoot surgery today and want to use this pen g afterwards as I believe it's the best antibiotic I have for the job (also have Tylan 50).

The bottle (80% full) was stored in a butter cubby in the fridge and I made a point to always either use a new needle or soak the needle in rubbing alcohol prior to drawing the contents out.
My fridge is pretty cold and I had to shake the bottle pretty hard in order to mix the contents that separated, the chalky white part was pretty globbed up on the bottom, is that a bad sign?

Does anyone know whether it will still be effective?
The expiration date is June of 2022, but does that still stand once the bottle is used?
I cannot find any specific info online, I've found info for pills and reconstituted penicillin but nothing for injectable.

Thank you kindly for any input.

If you've kept it refrigerated and out of sunlight and it is within the expiration date period, it should be good.
I have Comb-Pen-48 that I used for bumblefoot surgery but it is expired now. I had kept it refrigerated and wouldn't hesitate to use it before it expired. Just shake it up till it is well mixed.

Back
Top Bottom