Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes mixing directions for 1 gallon??

Jake1297

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Western Maine
I bought a 4 oz. packet of Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes for my baby chicks today. Directions are vague to say the least. Mostly about mixing for livestock. Does anyone know the correct measurements for chicks? I searched online and got 1 teaspoon per gallon. Another said 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. Does a 1/4 teaspoon difference matter enough to hurt the chicks?
Thanks for all your help everyone.
sad.png

I would use the directions from the most reliable source. If in doubt, go with the lower dosage. I didn't use any vits for this year's batch of chicks and they did just fine. The vits are great when the chicks are weak.

Maybe someone else will have the exact dosage for you.

I have been using 1 tsp per gallon and my birds are going on one year old. Better safe then sorry.

Here is a copy and paste of the original post-

Just got a batch of chicks in and wanted to give a few ideas for what I do to get them off to a strong start.
I put vitamins and sugar into warmed water. One teaspoon per pint of water to start, taking that down to one teaspoon per quart after the first twelve hours. Discontinue the sugar after everyone appears strong, or after forty eight hours. Make sure each chick has their beak gently dipped in the water to figure out how to drink. Watch and make sure they are drinking. Sprinkle bits of food on the floor of the cage and they will start pecking and figure out how to eat.
First meal is a spoonful of kefir, a spoonful of fine cornmeal and some hardboiled egg. You can also give some mashed tofu if you like.
I like kefir better than yogurt, it adds more active, live cultures.this seems to energize them and get them off to a roaring start. Watch them fing the wet stuff around! I feed it off a shallow tray or Tupperware lid so they don't drown in the kefir.
Start adding organic ACV to the water as soon as you know they are drinking well or the second time you fill the waterer. Make sure you're using a chick waterer so they can't get their body in the water and drown or get chilled.
Make sure there is room in the brooder to move in and out of the light. If they are huddled in the light they are cold, if they are huddled away from the light, they are hot. Scattered all around is just right. I use a light that can be raised and lowered to adjust the temperature.
I add sprouts AF various sorts on the second or third day. I like to add mung beans, mustard greens and fenugreek sprouts. Also, amaranth, quinoa, chia are really good. Sprouts are easy and great sources of vitamins, protein and energy, easy to digest. I add a tiny bit of chick grit or sand when I start feeding sprouts. I usually feed a little garlic chives and other fresh garden greens at this time.
That's about it.
For a brooder, I like a deep box or rubber made tote. I use a grate or screen for a lid on top. I like to start with puppy potty pee pads for the first day, then go to rice hulls for bedding. If you can't get rice hulls, pine shavings or shredded paper is fine.

Bumping this up:

This is the time of year when a lot of people are getting chicks for the first time and a lot of others, like me, are hoping to do it better this year than they did last. I did a search for diluting Durvet electrolytes and vitamins and this came up

There seem to be two different products...one that says High Performance Poultry Pak on the label and one that says Vitamins and Electrolytes and is for a variety of livestock species. They have different dilution formulas so make sure you know which you have.

Does anyone buy wheat grass for their chicks?

Bumping this up:

This is the time of year when a lot of people are getting chicks for the first time and a lot of others, like me, are hoping to do it better this year than they did last. I did a search for diluting Durvet electrolytes and vitamins and this came up

There seem to be two different products...one that says High Performance Poultry Pak on the label and one that says Vitamins and Electrolytes and is for a variety of livestock species. They have different dilution formulas so make sure you know which you have.

Does anyone buy wheat grass for their chicks?

I used the Durvet electrolytes for multiple species and followed the directions on the package. This was recommended to me by the chicken guru at the feed store when my girls had pale combs. It perked them right up, and they loved the taste of their "Chickenade"

Back
Top Bottom