Dust Bath on Cement

MichellesChickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 13, 2017
The new chickens have been here a week today. So now I have two almost matching chicken coops with 2 separate flocks of chickens, until they can be together. Each coop has an inside run, then the coop with nest boxes and perches, both areas are inside my barn, then each one has an outside run. The original chickens are on dirt floor, they can dust bath no matter the weather. The new girls are on cement with sawdust bedding, and I'd like to set up something for them with a temporary dust bath until they are all one combined flock. I'm thinking with the weather we have coming they will not want to be outside much. Need suggestions on a simple dust bath for 9 chickens that I could put together this afternoon?

Sand like kids play sand? Ash from the wood burner?
If you're using ash, mix it with dirt/sand. Yes to the wood burner. Sand: not the colored stuff. It's frequently synthetic. Paver sand works well, garden dirt, topsoil....anything like that. Kitty litter (no scent, non- clumping) will also do in a pinch. Potting mix isn't a good idea due to the fertilizer pellets in it.

Back
Top Bottom