Dust bath question

BoomChickWow

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Finally finished our coop and run for our 6 hens. I have 3 - 13 week olds and 3- 8 week olds. After much stressing I landed on sand for inside the coop, sand under the coop in the run and dirt for the rest of run where I throw in weeds and things they can peck thru. They are used to sand because it was in my smaller coop and run and they spend a lot of time digging and sitting in the sand under the run, especially when its hot out. I sprinkled sweet pdz in coop and drop board. Do I need to make a dust bath for them or is the sand and dirt run enough? Will they even use it? I am also thinking of bug prevention and i know it’s controversial but have seen a lot of people sprinkle food grade DE in dust bath. Or i guess i could mix it in sand under run? I was definitely going to dust around outside of run with it. Thoughts? Also, right now they stay in the run. I don’t trust our Bernedoodle to not traumatize them and am thinking I would only free range with a movable fence extended from run door in the future
IMG_8797.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1483.jpeg
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    802.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 20
I do not make a dust bath for them. They probably wouldn't use it if I did. They make their own where they can get to dirt. I do not add DE, wood ash, or anything else you may read about on here. Mine are quite happy to use dirt.
Thanks! I have to ask is Ridgerunner a reference to the Wingfeather saga books?

Plain old dirt and/or plates moss makes a great dust bath.
DE is a respiratory irritant for you and your birds, it doesn't have much more bug control than sand dust so you can go with out it. Damp dirt bathes are great for the summer, just give it a spray with water at night and theyll have a nice damp area to cool down in.

Finally finished our coop and run for our 6 hens. I have 3 - 13 week olds and 3- 8 week olds. After much stressing I landed on sand for inside the coop, sand under the coop in the run and dirt for the rest of run where I throw in weeds and things they can peck thru. They are used to sand because it was in my smaller coop and run and they spend a lot of time digging and sitting in the sand under the run, especially when its hot out. I sprinkled sweet pdz in coop and drop board. Do I need to make a dust bath for them or is the sand and dirt run enough? Will they even use it? I am also thinking of bug prevention and i know it’s controversial but have seen a lot of people sprinkle food grade DE in dust bath. Or i guess i could mix it in sand under run? I was definitely going to dust around outside of run with it. Thoughts? Also, right now they stay in the run. I don’t trust our Bernedoodle to not traumatize them and am thinking I would only free range with a movable fence extended from run door in the futureView attachment 3563601

Yes you should. Why? Because you can add a few things to help with the reason they dust bathe. By adding ingredients that will repel and kill mites and fleas.

I made a post on how to make a quick draining/stay dry dust bath. Great for those heavy rain days.

I use regular dirt mixed with some wood ash, for now because my chicks are inside, and main run is completely fenced (top and bottom). But as was said above, in any runs (I call grazing pens lol), chickens make their own dust baths. So I'd assume, it depends upon what kind of setting you have and dirt. If it's hard packed, and a small area you should provide a dust bath.

Yes you should. Why? Because you can add a few things to help with the reason they dust bathe. By adding ingredients that will repel and kill mites and fleas.

I made a post on how to make a quick draining/stay dry dust bath. Great for those heavy rain days.
Rainy days is definitely something to keep in mind, but treatment isn't always needed, again depends on location. Where we are, we have never had issues of lice, fleas or mites. On any of the animals, but I have lived in bad areas, though. So I would say adapt to what is needed for your area.

but treatment isn't always needed
It's called preventative maintenance. Plus everything I mentioned is not only good for getting rid or preventing pests but it is also good for the health of the birds.

again depends on location
Also not so. No matter where you are the birds will want to dust bathe. and if they are wanting to dust bathe is either because they need it or they too are doing preventative maintenance.

It also goes back to "It is better to have it and not need it , then need it and not have it." and "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

It's called preventative maintenance. Plus everything I mentioned is not only good for getting rid or preventing pests but it is also good for the health of the birds.

Also not so. No matter where you are the birds will want to dust bathe. and if they are wanting to dust bathe is either because they need it or they too are doing preventative maintenance.

It also goes back to "It is better to have it and not need it , then need it and not have it." and "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
I meant treatment isn't always needed, and location has a lot to do with what kind of parasites are around, not that chickens don't dust bathe. I lived in an area once, we had to keep constantly treating for lice, it was bad.

But, not everyone can afford to pay for constant medication when isn't needed. Having it on hand, or knowing what to watch for to catch early is very wise. Everyone's situation is different, we're just stating opinions here.

Back
Top Bottom