Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Just got this little guy yesterday and a mate for him but she was to shy and didn't want her picture taken.This is my first time owning these little babies so any insite you can give me would be much appericiated.

I think that what you have is the same that I have..I was told that they were Black Dutch Bantams and although they have the slate blue legs, they lack the white ear lobes.. I was told the best way to refer to them would be "Backyard Banties".. maybe we got them from same area? I am also in WV.. The ones that I have are super sweet and make my Silkies look mean..lol... He is a beautiful boy, imo.. I love my guys..
This was in reply to Ploub, not sure why it didn't post like that??

Last edited:
Just got this little guy yesterday and a mate for him but she was to shy and didn't want her picture taken.This is my first time owning these little babies so any insite you can give me would be much appericiated.

Your new bird doesn't look like a purebred Dutch Bantam; more like a Dutch/Old English Game Bantam cross. A pure Dutch Bantam would have white earlobes, a longer back, and a less-upright tail carriage. But he still probably has some Dutch in him. Pretty bird!

I think that what you have is the same that I have..I was told that they were Black Dutch Bantams and although they have the slate blue legs, they lack the white ear lobes.. I was told the best way to refer to them would be "Backyard Banties".. maybe we got them from same area? I am also in WV.. The ones that I have are super sweet and make my Silkies look mean..lol... He is a beautiful boy, imo.. I love my guys..
This was in reply to Ploub, not sure why it didn't post like that??

Thakyou very much I am enjoying them alot ,They are such funny little birds.I don't care if they are not purebreeds.I got them from a boy in Wetzel County WV.

Different places then...but they are super sweet,pics of mine are posted a few pages back...I agree, I am in love with these birds, they are my favorite out of all of mine...

Can some Dutch owners share their experiences re Dutch laying ability. How many eggs do they lay a week, how big are they for their size, how often do they go broody, and how much do they drop off in winter? I'm here because I read they were developed because the pheasants had to give their large eggs to the Lords, but they wanted a chicken that laid small eggs well so they could keep those eggs.

Also, is there any hatchery that carries decent Dutch, not show quality, but at least representing to an acceptable degree the attributes the breed is supposed to have?

Last edited:
Can some Dutch owners share their experiences re Dutch laying ability. How many eggs do they lay a week, how big are they for their size, how often do they go broody, and how much do they drop off in winter? I'm here because I read they were developed because the pheasants had to give their large eggs to the Lords, but they wanted a chicken that laid small eggs well so they could keep those eggs.

Also, is there any hatchery that carries decent Dutch, not show quality, but at least representing to an acceptable degree the attributes the breed is supposed to have?

Dutch bantams, in my experience, lay about four to five eggs a week in the summer. They slow down to about 3 eggs a week in the winter and fall. Compared to their size, the eggs are pretty large. One of my birds lays especially large eggs (well, large for a bantam!). Every one of my birds has tried to go broody at least once this summer. They sit in the nest boxes, growling and puffing up their feathers. I haven't had much trouble breaking them of being broody. It takes a couple days of taking them out of the nest boxes a few times a day to break them of broodiness. I'm sure they'll try again next summer!

My Dutch Bantams lay about 4 eggs a week, or about every other day. The eggs are quite large in proportion to their body size; maybe 1/3-1/2 the size of a large-fowl chicken's egg. In the summer, my Dutch hens usually go broody about twice each. However, they're usually easy to break of that habit (just a few days removing from nest, taking away fake eggs in nest, etc.). But if left alone, I think they would gladly hatch some eggs--they can get very defensive of their nests.

Laying decreases in the winter as the duration of light becomes less. Its a lucky thing if, without supplemental light, each Dutch hen lays more than 0-2 eggs each week from late fall to early spring. Once spring and summer come, though, they start laying a lot!

I'm not sure about hatcheries carrying decent Dutch Bantams. Your best bet is to get some Dutch from a breeder.

Hi I am new here. I just accidentally purchased some Mille fleur booted bantam eggs. I am new to owning chickens and did not realize what bantam meant. Despite that I am getting excited and wanting to learn about this breed and I guess I'm turning here. I ordered 6 eggs from only about 100 miles from here. Can you guys give me some advice on what to expect with this breed? Do the chicks sell well? Are the chicks harder to sell because they are small? I am so new to this but also so excited. I plan on raising whatever chicks hatch and maybe start learning how to breed quality birds. These eggs come from a good breeder so I am hopeful.

Back
Top Bottom