Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics

Pathfinders

Crowing
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Northern KY
I am starting this thread to be specific to the Dutch Bantam breed. I am the D3 Director of the American Dutch Bantam Society, and would be happy to answer any questions I can about this lovely breed.

Thanks!

Laura

As far as we know, there are no purebred Dutch with the Lav gene (went over this not long ago when a C/BC pair sported out a Blue.)

And yes, here's how it works with Cream/Blue Cream matings:

Cream Light Brown = CLB
Blue Cream Light Brown = BCLB
Splash = S

Results:
CLB x CLB = 100% CLB
CLB x BCLB = 50% CLB and 50% BCLB
CLB x S = 100% BCLB
BCLB x BCLB = 25% CLB, 50% BCLB, and 25% S
BCLB x S = 50% BCLB and 50% S
S x S = 100% S

Laura

bruinzilverpatrijshaanvolwassen2.jpg

crele2.jpg

hollandse_kriel_zilverpatrijs.jpg

hollandse_kriel_haan_blauwpatrijs.jpg

...Also, is there any hatchery that carries decent Dutch, not show quality, but at least representing to an acceptable degree the attributes the breed is supposed to have?

There are many "not show quality" Dutch that can be had from breeders for a reasonable price, particularly in the Spring and late Fall.

Birds from experienced breeders are worth seeking out, as the hatchery versions generally have a heavily crossed pedigree consisting of other breeds and do not represent the true "nature" of Dutch bantams.

Check the Dutch Bantam Society website for a list of breeders.

DUTCH BANTAMS are one of the oldest BREEDS of Bantams in The Netherlands and still the most popular breed in that country. (I was able to visit their 50th Anniversary Show of their Hollandse Krielenfokkers Club--500 Dutch Bantams and very few that I would not have loved to bring home!!!!)! Imported to the US, (few, and only several varieties), they were accepted by the American Bantam Association in 1987, after a Dutch Bantam Society was formed in 1986.. Sadly, wanting more varieties, they were crossed with OEGB, Black Rosescombs, White Leghorn Bantams, others, to immediately change the Dutch to a backyard bantam type, neither OEGB, eetc. nor Dutch. A few breeders kept the imported lines, but breeding to a "changed" Standard, they did not meet the great quality of the birds of Holland. NOW, some later imports from leading breeder/exhibitors in Holland, have brought many, to very best TYPE, a unique bantam breed, and yet only a few varieties in the "real deal". Hatchery dutch are crossbreds, ands they offer varieties never bred in DUTCH and look like "backyard banties"--healthy chicks, but not DUTCH. They could rarely meet the standard language of color, pattern, shape of the birds. Breeders who do not learn about the breed, may offer chicks or birds they have bred from Hatchery dutch--so ask for pictures and bloodlines, if you purchase birds to be shipped. Eggs or chicks can tell you almost nothing about the adults they grow into! There are websites with information about the DUTCH BANTAMS. People who see the lovely ones, want them. They have been truly nice birds for SHowmanship for Juniors/Youth. I have not learned how to post pictures here, of true DUTCH, but may have to learn, as there seems to be mostly misinformation about the Breed! DUTCH BANTAMS are worth all efforts to obtain correct ones--whether you want Show birds or lovely backyard bantams, distinctly beautiful. (I like ALL bantam breeds, but chose DUTCH to study, breed, and it has made lifetime friends here and abroad, and into old age!)

Last edited:
Dutch Bantams are bred in Light Brown (not a description of the color at all), Blue Light Brown, Cream Light Brown, Blue Cream Light Brown, Silver, Wheaten, in pure Dutch. Other varieties are White (cross of Bantam Leghorns) Black (crosses of OEGB and Black Rosecombs), Blue Silver, Blue (both crosses with OEGB) Cuckoo, Self Blue (OEGB cross)and pure Dutch in Mille Fleur, Cream Mille Fleur, Buff Columbian, Blue Buff Columbian. Others made--and expect others in pure Dutch. Light Brown are usually the best type birds to start with, and are NEVER like the BBRed of OEGB. 4H Clubs often have the American Bantam Assn. Standard book available to see the description of the bantam breeds. Membership in the Dutch Bantam Society includes 4 Newsletters a year with information about Dutch and contacts with breeders and Shows, where they may be seen.

In Holland, there are more than 20 varieties, some seldom seen, like Lavender Cuckoo. Some are difficult to breed, like the Mille Fleur color and pattern and are really advanced breeding projects.

Last edited:
I have 2 black Dutch. The father was a Pyle, the mother a lavender Dutch. -> Black offspring. But still red faces.
491C198A-55F1-41E8-80FD-141DDC0B0B2D.jpeg

But I have another Dutch that has a blurry coloured face too (old pic).
5D676834-1A64-4657-BFAD-8A76DE0E14E7.jpeg

My chickens love the sunlight. But if its warm 🥵 they need to be able to go into the shade. Some bushes and vines are perfect for that. Sun coming through in winter , lots of shade in the summer, and being able to control thr growth (cutting).

E80D1EFB-35B8-4752-A923-C2BB25E735B9.jpeg

My Pyle Dutch

Back
Top Bottom