Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Can some Dutch owners share their experiences re Dutch laying ability. How many eggs do they lay a week, how big are they for their size, how often do they go broody, and how much do they drop off in winter? I'm here because I read they were developed because the pheasants had to give their large eggs to the Lords, but they wanted a chicken that laid small eggs well so they could keep those eggs.

Also, is there any hatchery that carries decent Dutch, not show quality, but at least representing to an acceptable degree the attributes the breed is supposed to have?

I agree, Dutch birds lay between four and six eggs a week during peak laying times, less in winter (like most other breeds of chickens.)

And honestly, there are no hatcheries that carry good quality Dutch. None. If you want Dutch, you really must get them from a breeder. You'll be so much happier if you do!

Hi I am new here. I just accidentally purchased some Mille fleur booted bantam eggs. I am new to owning chickens and did not realize what bantam meant. Despite that I am getting excited and wanting to learn about this breed and I guess I'm turning here. I ordered 6 eggs from only about 100 miles from here. Can you guys give me some advice on what to expect with this breed? Do the chicks sell well? Are the chicks harder to sell because they are small? I am so new to this but also so excited. I plan on raising whatever chicks hatch and maybe start learning how to breed quality birds. These eggs come from a good breeder so I am hopeful.

I hope you will take my comments in the manner in which I intend them (as helpful advice, not criticism.)

If you are new to raising poultry, I think it will be best if you hold off on trying to sell birds right away. It is always best to learn how to reproduce the breed(s) you're working with before selling chicks from birds you've purchased (especially if you bought hatching eggs from someone.)

With most breeds of poultry, you cannot simply put a group of birds together and expect every single chick produced to be of good quality. Quite the contrary, in fact. It takes time to learn the Standard for the breeds you're working with, so you know the faults and good qualities of the birds, which will allow you to set up breeding pens properly to enhance the good things and reduce the bad.

So, my gentle suggestion is, please work with your birds for a couple of years before selling the offspring to others. And if you can, find someone near you who has been breeding poultry for a long time, and ask them to help you. Having a mentor is incredibly helpful, and will point you more surely towards success.

Best,

Laura

Is my girl a booted Dutch? And what color is she?

There is no "Booted Dutch" per se. There are Booted Bantams, but they are not Dutch.

And when I look at that photo, it appears your bird may be suffering from leg mites. You may wish to apply a thick coating of Vaseline to her legs every day for about a week to smother them.

I hope you will take my comments in the manner in which I intend them (as helpful advice, not criticism.)

If you are new to raising poultry, I think it will be best if you hold off on trying to sell birds right away. It is always best to learn how to reproduce the breed(s) you're working with before selling chicks from birds you've purchased (especially if you bought hatching eggs from someone.)

With most breeds of poultry, you cannot simply put a group of birds together and expect every single chick produced to be of good quality. Quite the contrary, in fact. It takes time to learn the Standard for the breeds you're working with, so you know the faults and good qualities of the birds, which will allow you to set up breeding pens properly to enhance the good things and reduce the bad.

So, my gentle suggestion is, please work with your birds for a couple of years before selling the offspring to others. And if you can, find someone near you who has been breeding poultry for a long time, and ask them to help you. Having a mentor is incredibly helpful, and will point you more surely towards success.

Best,

Laura

I don't plan on selling any babies as pure booted bantams until I know what I am doing and have learned how to better the breed. My mother used to breed parrots, turtles, and shar pei puppies. I know there is a lot of work involved. I eventually want to get to the point where I can show my birds. I am just wondering everyone else's experience with them. I do appreciate the advice.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as "booted Dutch". Your bird looks like a mixed breed to me, possible with Belgian Bearded D'Uccle or bantam Langshan crossed in. The color of your bird doesn't fit any color variety that I know of.

I agree, Dutch birds lay between four and six eggs a week during peak laying times, less in winter (like most other breeds of chickens.)

And honestly, there are no hatcheries that carry good quality Dutch. None. If you want Dutch, you really must get them from a breeder. You'll be so much happier if you do!

Thanks, so they do lay pretty well for a banty, and for their size it appears:) In general my banties (d'Uccles, Sebrights, Cochin) have always been better layers than people tend to give them credit for.

Right now I can't buy from a breeder, and not to get into the whole hatchery/breeder debate, but I don't even really want to, simply because a hatchery suits my needs fine, and then I can get all my birds in one place. Plus, I like raising my chicks from day one so they are very tame since they are mainly pets, but I don't have an incubator so I can't hatch eggs myself. I'm not looking for SQ birds, or breeding stock, just cute, and sweet pet birds, who lay decently well for banties (~4eggs/wk) and who represent the breed they are supposed to be, albeit perhaps in a imperfect way. I know Ideal bred a lot of OEGB blood into their Dutch, but how are Privett's Dutch? Are they close enough to "real" Dutch to suit my needs that I outlined above? I think I'm going to order from them or Welp, who goes through Privett, because they have all the bantams I want to buy (D'Uccle, Pyncheon, Dutch, D'Anvers).

...Also, is there any hatchery that carries decent Dutch, not show quality, but at least representing to an acceptable degree the attributes the breed is supposed to have?

There are many "not show quality" Dutch that can be had from breeders for a reasonable price, particularly in the Spring and late Fall.

Birds from experienced breeders are worth seeking out, as the hatchery versions generally have a heavily crossed pedigree consisting of other breeds and do not represent the true "nature" of Dutch bantams.

Check the Dutch Bantam Society website for a list of breeders.

Unfortunatly I need to order my Dutch from Privetts to get my minimum order... anyone have pictures of Dutch from Privetts? The photos on the website at least look ok to me (right color legs, white ear lobes, lowerset wings, etc.) Again, I know not great quality, but at least minimally Dutch.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly I need to order my Dutch from Privetts to get my minimum order... anyone have pictures of Dutch from Privetts? The photos on the website at least look ok to me (right color legs, white ear lobes, lowerset wings, etc.) Again, I know not great quality, but at least minimally Dutch.

Actually, (and this is what we're trying to tell you as nicely as we can.) They are not even minimally Dutch. I'm sorry, they're just not.

Back
Top Bottom