Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Hi everyone, I live in the north of England, I've just started to keep poultry again now I've retired.
I've bought a few Dutch, always admired them.
It's difficult to find info on the colour combinations and how they breed.
I have a trio of Red pyle, I think I have read somewhere a red pyle cockerel to gold hens will produce all red pyle, can anyone confirm this.

I am thinking of getting a silkie to hatch their eggs
By the way do u sell their eggs? Is there much demand for them? Thanks

I prefer pekin, the chicks don't get tangled in their feathers like they do with silkies.
I do sell the eggs from the Dutch. I have silver, gold, blue and pyle. they are just starting to lay.

Red Pyle Dutch are not easy to keep with the White clear. Yes, some breeders do breed back to Golds, but then it takes sorting again, not a simple breeding. Even in Holland, it is a real project and there are not many breeders of the variety.

We do not have Red Pyle in Dutch in the US. If you go to Facebook UK, there are breeders and exhibitors of Dutch, who could put you in touch with someone who can help you. Or the Dutch Bantam Club, UK. Search your web and you will find them. Good luck.

Are you hatching Dutch Bantams? Most are great broodies, but hatch just 6-8 eggs. Silkies can handle a few more, but you must watch for "hanging" by the fluff of the Silkes. A bit of dampness can catch and drag the tiny Dutch babies and they are hard to remove. I stopped using mine for hatching Dutch after losing several. Fewer chicks is okay--have 15 chicks right now, but I moved them from the setting hens into a Brinsea incubator to finish this time because of the COLD weather and have them in my house, not the poultry house! Spring WILL COME! And later, any setting Dutch hens will hatch and raise their own. NICE....

And I tried a Brahma Bantam hen to hatch my Dutch--could cover15- but they are too heavy! Squashed several during hatch. Snatched others as they hatched and raised them myself. I now go for fewer--just the ones I would keep myself, if I could keep them all. Fewer can be better.

Last edited:
Yes I found a guy that gave me some good info in Yorkshire. Using Pyle to Gold gives you 'dirty' Pyle, Pyle with black flecks. these birds need to be bred back to clear Pyle, it's challenging, but anything worth having doesn't come easy.

Yes I keep Silver, Blue partridge, I bought a trio of Red Pyle in Jan and 2 Gold partridge hens at the w/e,

I agree small chicks tend to tangle in the feathers of Silkies, Silkie Sussex cross, but I see no reason to breed/keep crossbred, I prefer Pekin, really good mothers. Dutch will sit their own and are good mothers, but 6 eggs are hardly worth the trouble.

I use a Brinsea for most of my hatchings, I have a still air I've had for years, works pretty well. I treated myself to a fan assisted auto turner this year, set them a couple of times and hatchings over, get on with the rearing then.

Back
Top Bottom