Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Hello,
I am looking for pure show quality Black Dutch Bantams to buy.
My granddaughter has been showing these for about 5 years.
She has done very well with breeding and showing. Her chickens have always placed 1st and best of breed in state, fair and 4H events. She received birds from Johnny Sprott a Florida breeder who is not longer raising birds. We need new pure blood line to keep from interbreeding at this time. Do you have any contacts? We would really appreciate any information you may have.
Thank you!
Megan Handley (Black Dutch breeder) & Joanne Lascola

Here is my two little bantams.

Are they great foragers and can I free range them. I also want to let the hen hatch her own youn will she go broody? Tanks and what colour are they

While you may free range your dear little bantams, it depends upon where you live, what predators may be lurking, including your own dog, if you have one!! It is always so sad to lose a dear one to a hawk, raccoon, Dogs, foxes, coyotes, skunks, snakes, and/or any others that can be found, where you live!!!!!! WE MUST protect our bantams. I also have Grizzly Bears to protect against and that takes electric protection--and I must never forget to have it on--April through denning time--Oct/Nov! And I have netting over their large outside grassy pens! It is up to you! AND it is such a pleasure to have your little Dutch hen hatch and raise her chicks! Since they can only safely cover 6-7 eggs, best to collect and date her eggs every day, and when she sets (and when it is time, she will on her last egg in the clutch--or even on an empty nest) save them in egg cartons, and when she sets. give her the last 6-8 eggs--and the rest will still be great for breakfast, hard boiled for salads or sandwiches! Good luck......

Variety--can't tell for sure from the picture. Pullet looks like Cream Light Brown, Cockerel looks like Light Brown (if so, not the right colors to breed together to produce exhibition Dutch but will produce mainly LBs, if that is their varieties, and carriers of CLB.)

Last edited:

These are Cream Light Brown Dutch and the variety is to be bred together. Perhaps yours are both this variety? Or if a Light Brown pair, they, too, are to be bred together. I no longer have this variety, but was a favorite for many years.
Good luck with hatching!

Can't seem to get this off my screen--so here's another picture, to see if it will now disappear??
Bantam eggs, from pullets on the left, and as they mature, from hens, on the right! I seldom hatch pullet eggs, (and usually keep them separated from cockerels), as pullet chicks are so small--. You can't see it, but every egg is dated, in pencil, and has the band numbers of parent birds--so IF I set to hatch, I KNOW which birds, are the parents of every chick I raise. Food color under the wings of newly hatched, lasts a number of weeks, if raised by a hen. (can be on the head or backs, if raised under lights. For pairing of birds for sale, most hatches have eggs from at least 2 pens, maybe 3, so they can be suitable for breeding--at their new homes.

I'm new to Dutch Bantams and am getting quality ones from a dutch breeder that just moved here from Arizona. I can't wait to get them next week! Ill post pictures ASAP!

Back
Top Bottom