Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
She came from our local feed store but they got her from Ideal hatchery in a bantam mix. Any idea what she might be?

Is this a dutch bantam? I know it's a bantam but I'm trying to figure out what it is and what color it might be.

Nope, she's not a Dutch Bantam, since she has a rose comb and doesn't fit any Dutch Bantam color variety. She looks like some sort of Belgian Bearded D'Anvers to me. I just went and checked Ideal Hatchery's website and she appears to be Blue Quail in color.

Lovely bird, even if she isn't a Dutch Bantam!

Really? I posted Wisp's picture on the D'anver thread and they said she/he wasn't a D'anver. Ideal doesn't have any self blue Belgian D'Anvers either. I thought with the rosecomb that she/he would definitely be a Dutch bantam. Ideal does carry them.

Really? I posted Wisp's picture on the D'anver thread and they said she/he wasn't a D'anver. Ideal doesn't have any self blue Belgian D'Anvers either. I thought with the rosecomb that she/he would definitely be a Dutch bantam. Ideal does carry them.
Dutch Bantams actually have single combs, instead of rose combs.

She/ hemaybe a ducth batam mix but im not sure as to what rosecomb it maybe mixed with but as of right now it does apprear to have a dutch body type sometimes its hard to tell what it maybe x with until a little older ,even when breeding pure line of fowl its hard to tell what she are he will turn out to be until older.

Ideal does not offer the true Dutch Bantam--but mixes of OEGB and in colors (varieties) that are not found in Dutch. And this little fellow does not have Dutch type, or is he, a Dutch variety. Hatcheries most often purchase eggs to hatch, and with lesser known breeds often do not truly know what they are offering? They hope that the eggs they purchase are "as promised." Many breeds and varieties cannot be identified at hatch. And they MUST be shipped day of hatch. Bantams are often offered in mixed varieties, as there is not enough demand for any one variety--AND the chicks will grow up to be delightful backyard bantams--much enjoyed. Most hatcheries do not promise "Show Birds" of any breed, and actually no one can promise this in chicks--have to wait to see if indeed they are correct enough to "show". It takes much selection of mature birds to breed and offer best of their breed and Champions do not produce all potential champions.

This dear youngster isn't a Belgian pure bred, either, as there is no beard, feathered legs, neither d'Anvers or d'Uccle--but is a lovely little fellow to enjoy. Doesn't appear to be a "breed", but a crossbreed. That is okay-feed stores provide good layers and most often, healthy chicks. Their guess is as good as yours, even though some breeds are easily identified. ENJOY..

Ideal does not offer the true Dutch Bantam--but mixes of OEGB and in colors (varieties) that are not found in Dutch.  And this little fellow does not have Dutch type, or is he, a Dutch variety.    Hatcheries most often purchase eggs to hatch, and with lesser known breeds often do not truly know what they are offering?  They hope that the eggs they purchase are "as promised."    Many breeds and varieties cannot be identified at hatch.    And they MUST be shipped day of hatch.  Bantams are often offered in mixed varieties, as there is not enough demand for any one variety--AND the chicks will grow up to be delightful backyard bantams--much enjoyed.    Most hatcheries do not promise "Show Birds" of any breed, and actually no one can promise this in chicks--have to wait to see if indeed they are correct enough to "show".   It takes much selection of mature birds to breed and offer best of their breed and Champions do not produce all potential champions.

This dear youngster isn't a Belgian pure bred, either, as there is no beard, feathered legs, neither d'Anvers or d'Uccle--but is a lovely little fellow to enjoy.   Doesn't appear to be a "breed", but a crossbreed.  That is okay-feed stores provide good layers and most often, healthy chicks.  Their guess is as good as yours, even though some breeds are easily identified.   ENJOY..
you said all and very much on the money correct. Needless either they are to be ENJOYED as you stated.

Back
Top Bottom