Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Glad to Welcome your family to the Dutch Bantam Society--NOW, you must ask for help for Juniors--keep hoping there will be regular information for Youth with Dutch-the birds are often TOPS for Showmanship. You will find some VERY GOOD Blue Cream Light Brown Dutch in Texas! And please NOTE, to breed BCLB, you must have Cream Light Browns. They are bred together to produce BCLB AND CLB. Without CLB, you will get BCLB Splash birds, not useful unless you are breeding LOTS of Dutch.. A little Genetics study, early on, is very helpful! Will see if I can find the Personal message tab and send you the address of the Texas breeder.. He usually has a waiting list. (And he has my last CLB and BCLB cocks--along with others of very good bloodlines!

Last edited:
im still confused on what my 4 could be. i think dutch because of their whitening ears and slate legs, as well as being super tiny and somewhat close to the ground. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
they are almost 4 months old.

gold partridge rooster?

yellow partridge rooster?

not sure on the girls coloration

gold partridge roo in back? not sure with the girl

then again these COULD very well be a dutch and oegb variation. im wanting to locally sell hacthing eggs from these guys for fun, so what would i classify them?

im still confused on what my 4 could be. i think dutch because of their whitening ears and slate legs, as well as being super tiny and somewhat close to the ground. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
they are almost 4 months old.

gold partridge rooster? -> light brown partridge if the back and tail are as they should look.

yellow partridge rooster? YES

not sure on the girls coloration ?? i am not sure either, hard to see on this picture?

gold partridge roo in back? Gold partridge is not an official color as far as I now. Is this the same rooster as in the first picture? Probably light brown partridge.
not sure with the girl, -> I think the hen is a light brown partridge, but with the hens it is quit hard to see the differences between the different type of partridge.

then again these COULD very well be a dutch and oegb variation. im wanting to locally sell hacthing eggs from these guys for fun, so what would i classify them? The wings are rather short for a good dutch bantam. The look like dutch but i am not sure.
Could you make pictures of them on a table like in http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Hollandsekriel
That gives a better overall picture to see the differences or look-a-likes.
reply = blue text in the quote

It is harmful to any breed of Bantams, to sell eggs or birds that are NOT a breed, just have some "looks" of a breed. Your bantams do have a look, sort of Dutch--but are NOT pure Dutch, for sure, or you would not have the major faults (for Dutch) that they show. Why not just call them BEAUTIFUL BACK YARD BANTAMS, not a breed. Crossbreds, do not have to have a Breed Name.

They are dear birds, just not proper DUTCH White ears and blue legs. (several Dutch varieties do not have blue legs) do not identify DUTCH. There are other Bantam Breeds that also have White earlobes and blue legs--and that are small. Just enjoy them as they are--lovely bantams! Your birds do not all show pure white ear lobes, which often indicates cross with another breed.
It is not good for your reputation to misrepresent what will hatch from their eggs. If people expect DUTCH from those eggs and they are NOT Dutch, word gets around that you falsely sell Dutch hatching eggs. Be safe and have pleasure from your Bantams! Here is a DUTCH cockerel, a real DUTCH TYPE. You can easily see that the bird you have with this Geelpatrijs color, is not d true Dutch at all. SHAPE of a bird, is what makes a BREED. Color can be lifted from one breed and added to a different breed, easily, but it has no relation to the BREED.TYPE.

It is harmful to any breed of Bantams, to sell eggs or birds that are NOT a breed, just have some "looks" of a breed. Your bantams do have a look, sort of Dutch--but are NOT pure Dutch, for sure, or you would not have the major faults (for Dutch) that they show. Why not just call them BEAUTIFUL BACK YARD BANTAMS, not a breed. Crossbreds, do not have to have a Breed Name. They are dear birds, just not proper DUTCH White ears and blue legs. (several Dutch varieties do not have blue legs) do not identify DUTCH. There are other Bantam Breeds that also have White earlobes and blue legs--and that are small. Just enjoy them as they are--lovely bantams! Your birds do not all show pure white ear lobes, which often indicates cross with another breed. It is not good for your reputation to misrepresent what will hatch from their eggs. If people expect DUTCH from those eggs and they are NOT Dutch, word gets around that you falsely sell Dutch hatching eggs. Be safe and have pleasure from your Bantams! Here is a DUTCH cockerel, a real DUTCH TYPE. You can easily see that the bird you have with this Geelpatrijs color, is not d true Dutch at all. SHAPE of a bird, is what makes a BREED. Color can be lifted from one breed and added to a different breed, easily, but it has no relation to the BREED.TYPE.
Beautiful dutch bantam I am not raising bantams large fowl RIRS is what I jave but I just HAD to put a comment this is a bery BEAUTIFUL bantam Rooster.!!!!!

Hi everyone. I got 2 new hens. One young and one a bit older. The older one is laying eggs at the moment. She is now at 4. When wil she go broody. Are they good brooders. Thank you

@coturnixlover,

Dutch are in general fine brooders. But not constantly. In wikipedia you can find some general information.

I have not very much experience. Started with chicks a year ago. The hens started laying end of january/february. One hen got boody once and two (a month older) hens got broody twice. I let them have only one nest and stopped the two hens from being broody two weeks ago, which was not too hard.

My hens lay (when not broody or mothering) 4 or 5 eggs a week.

Do you have a Dutch rooster too or are you buying fertilized eggs.?

The season for breeding is coming to an end here. Best to have them grown up before the winter period starts with short days abd cold nights.

Good luck with you're Dutch. Can you show us a picture?

I purchased some bantam chicks at the feed store this past spring. Straight run, assortment. I have been able to identify all but 2, which are the size of a dove. I believe these are Dutch bantam. Any advise? They are the white with black penciling pullets in the photos. One is standing next to an Orpington hen to show you how small they are.

Back
Top Bottom