dying birds…please help

also…what does the grit do?  I thought they would need that to strengthen eggs only?  But they are too young to lay.

There is shell grit which is ground up oyster shell to give them added calcium to strengthen shells.

And there is sandy kind of grit which has nothing to do with calcium. The birds eat grit or small stones because it helps to grind up the food sitting in their crop before it is digested. Without the grit to help grind it up it they can develop sour crop.

It is very confusing as they both tend to be referred to as grit.

Last edited:
Several things come to mind... worms, E. coli, blackhead, clostridia and coccidiosis. Please post poop pictures.

If they were mine I would de-worm all of them orally with Safeguard at 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds for five days.

Peafowl Amount (1 ml = 1 cc)
Large Adult Male 3 ml
Small Adult Male 2 ml
Large Adult Female 2 ml
Small Adult Female 1.5 ml
Large 3 month old chick 1 ml
Medium 3 month old chick 0.8 ml
Small 3 month old chick 0.7 ml

Baytril in water is not a good way to treat them, it should be given orally or by injection, and Baytril will not treat some things like clostridia or blackhead. For clostridia and blackhead you would need metronidazole. Clostrida dose is 50mg per 2.2 pounds twice a day for 10-14 days, I think. Blackhead dose is no less than 30mg per 2.2 pounds for five days.

Best treatment for coccidiosis is Corid (amprolium).
Corid powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days.
Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Birds that are too young to lay should *not* be eating lay pellets or lay crumble, there's way too much calcium in it for them.

-Kathy

FYI, studies show that ivermectin is not a good wormer for poultry. A better choice is Safeguard (fenbendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole).

-Kathy

More abnormal poop:

LL

LL

705_06_10_11_1_45_40_3.jpeg

-Kathy

She's telling you to keep them off the ground so they don't become infected with the parasite that causes blackhead. I haven't heard of the Avio 4-1. I copied the below information from the New Hampshire extension site. Hope it clears things up at least a little.

For more fact sheets in the small flock poultry management series return to:

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/resource000811_rep844.pdf

De-Wormers
Active Ingredient Brand Name
Effective Against
Dosage
Roundworn Cecal Capillaria Tapeworms
(ascarids) Worms (threadworms)
Albendazole Valbazen
yes
yes
yes
yes 4.5 mg/lb, orally
Ivermectin
Ivomec
yes
yes
yes
no 1/4cc Standard*
6-7 drops, Bantams
Levamisole
Prohibit
yes
yes
yes
no 10 ml/gal drinking
water for 1 day
Piperazine
Wazine
yes
no
no
no follow label, repeat
in 7-10 days
*1 mm square of Ivermectin paste (large end of a flat toothpick) will de-worm a standard bird.
Ivermectin is also effective against many external parasites

Sorry about the way it came out. I copied a table with the information easily read. Hopefully the link below will work
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/resource000811_rep844.pdf

Last edited:
I would not rely on ivermectin to kill any worms. Safeguard or Valbazen are better choices and you could use either of them right now. No need to wait.

Avio 4 in 1 is a powder that contains Ronidazole 10% and Furaltadone 20mg. I would stick with the Baytril and start metronidazole (Fish-Zole).

-Kathy

There is shell grit which is ground up oyster shell to give them added calcium to strengthen shells.

And there is sandy kind of grit which has nothing to do with calcium. The birds eat grit or small stones because it helps to grind up the food sitting in their crop before it is digested. Without the grit to help grind it up it they can develop sour crop.

It is very confusing as they both tend to be referred to as grit.
Grit works in the gizzard not the crop
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom