• Sick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

laircy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
California
I have a hen who is 10 years old. She was acting normal last week, but several days ago she started laying down a lot. In the past three days, she sleeps all day and doesn’t eat or drink. She will open her eyes a little if you move her, sometimes she opens her eyes and will drink some water if you try to force her to. She is too weak to stand. Comb is purplish red (but it’s been like that before). I assumed she was just getting old but it’s kind of strange that she is still alive after not doing almost anything for three days, and that this happened rather suddenly. Is there a possibility she is just sick?

I think that’s possible, yes, but ten years is great!

Can you examine her? Is her crop empty since she hasn’t been eating? Is her breast muscle still nice and strong? Is her abdomen bloated at all? Assuming she no longer lays eggs, how long has it been? And how does her poop look?
If she’s lost interest in eating, at her age she may be telling you it’s time. But I’d do a quick exam to see if there might be something you can help her with. Hugs.

Back
Top Bottom