E-Bay Eggs On The Way!

Here are my 8 eggs. The carton came cut like this, but I removed the lids because I don't need them. A few of the eggs weren't large-side up, so I flipped them and they are now resting. After a few hours I carefully candled them and now I"m leaving them alone until tomorrow, when I'm putting them in the incubator.

The incubator is at 100 F right now. It is still-air, so should it be 101 F or because its a reptile incubator is there some difference?

By the way, this reptile incubator is way better then the (granted cheaper) chick incubator we ended up returning because we didn't need it. This has an alarm for when the temperature drops or rises too much, it sets to the perfect temperature, it tells you the humidity, and it has a special water sponge to keep the humidity high. Of course, reptiles naturally are incubated at lower temperatures with much higher humidity, but it is a very adaptable incubator.

Here is the only other time I really used it. These eggs needed to be incubated because they had gone cool during incubating and hatched later then their siblings. Only one egg hatched this time, but it is still doing awesome and I'm glad we could help it

The chick

I received my first shipment today. It was suppose to be 12, 6 Maran and 6 F1 OEs. Jean sent 7 extras. Packed extremely well. My next group should be 10 sky blue eggs. I have a Brinsea Octagon 24. I might fit 26 eggs in it - single layer. But it looks like I will have at least 29. Since I'm not tuning until I candle on day seven - should I stack the extras on top?

Do you candle when the eggs arrive or after they sit for 24 hours?

Last edited:
I received my first shipment today. It was suppose to be 12, 6 Maran and 6 F1 OEs. Jean sent 7 extras. Packed extremely well. My next group should be 10 sky blue eggs. I have a Brinsea Octagon 24. I might fit 26 eggs in it - single layer. But it looks like I will have at least 29. Since I'm not tuning until I candle on day seven - should I stack the extras on top?

Do you candle when the eggs arrive or after they sit for 24 hours?

Congrats!

I let mine sit for around 8 hours before checking the air sac. Others suggest 24 hours.

Best of luck!

The eggs are doing well. I have them currently at 50% humidity and 101 F and I'm not turning them the first few days.

As a quick side-note, we're getting four chicks tomorrow and 15 more in 6 days! I love having so many baby birdies to look forward too!
woot.gif

Here are my 8 eggs. The carton came cut like this, but I removed the lids because I don't need them. A few of the eggs weren't large-side up, so I flipped them and they are now resting. After a few hours I carefully candled them and now I"m leaving them alone until tomorrow, when I'm putting them in the incubator. The incubator is at 100 F right now. It is still-air, so should it be 101 F or because its a reptile incubator is there some difference? By the way, this reptile incubator is way better then the (granted cheaper) chick incubator we ended up returning because we didn't need it. This has an alarm for when the temperature drops or rises too much, it sets to the perfect temperature, it tells you the humidity, and it has a special water sponge to keep the humidity high. Of course, reptiles naturally are incubated at lower temperatures with much higher humidity, but it is a very adaptable incubator. Here is the only other time I really used it. These eggs needed to be incubated because they had gone cool during incubating and hatched later then their siblings. Only one egg hatched this time, but it is still doing awesome and I'm glad we could help it The chick
Have you ever hatched reptiles in it? I hate the styro bator from TSC. Just make sure you have a seperate calibrated thermo & hygrometer in there. Still air is 101-102. And I run lower on humidity days 1-18. Around 35%. But go by your air cell size. Good luck! I can't wait to see pics of them hatching!
I received my first shipment today. It was suppose to be 12, 6 Maran and 6 F1 OEs. Jean sent 7 extras. Packed extremely well. My next group should be 10 sky blue eggs. I have a Brinsea Octagon 24. I might fit 26 eggs in it - single layer. But it looks like I will have at least 29. Since I'm not tuning until I candle on day seven - should I stack the extras on top? Do you candle when the eggs arrive or after they sit for 24 hours?
Love my Brinsea! I squeeze way more eggs in there then they say! Lol. I do a quick candle right away as I'm unpacking, just to get an idea of how bad/good air cells look. Then I do a longer candle after they rest for a few hours and I number each egg and write down exactly whats going on with each air cell. That way I can keep track of the ones that I need to be extra gentle with. Good luck. They look awesome!

Have you ever hatched reptiles in it? I hate the styro bator from TSC. Just make sure you have a seperate calibrated thermo & hygrometer in there. Still air is 101-102. And I run lower on humidity days 1-18. Around 35%. But go by your air cell size. Good luck! I can't wait to see pics of them hatching!

I wanted to hatch reptiles in it, but I didn't get the chance this year. I did use it a couple times for late hatching eggs, but I only got one chick out of that.

Thanks for the advise!
smile.png

Here are my 8 eggs. The carton came cut like this, but I removed the lids because I don't need them. A few of the eggs weren't large-side up, so I flipped them and they are now resting. After a few hours I carefully candled them and now I"m leaving them alone until tomorrow, when I'm putting them in the incubator. The incubator is at 100 F right now. It is still-air, so should it be 101 F or because its a reptile incubator is there some difference? By the way, this reptile incubator is way better then the (granted cheaper) chick incubator we ended up returning because we didn't need it. This has an alarm for when the temperature drops or rises too much, it sets to the perfect temperature, it tells you the humidity, and it has a special water sponge to keep the humidity high. Of course, reptiles naturally are incubated at lower temperatures with much higher humidity, but it is a very adaptable incubator. Here is the only other time I really used it. These eggs needed to be incubated because they had gone cool during incubating and hatched later then their siblings. Only one egg hatched this time, but it is still doing awesome and I'm glad we could help it The chick
Interesting, using a reptile incubator. Glad you saved that little late hatch chick. Good luck.

I have Ebay eggs coming, Marans and OEs from NJ and SKY BLUE Ameraucana eggs from from Georgia.  I've known Jean from Jersey for many years, great person.  I moved to the Wilds of PA 2 years ago, couldn't bring the flock.  But a mansion coop is being built and I need to fill it.  I just hope the eggs are in by Saturday.  It's hard to believe its been 3 years since I have hatched eggs.  This time I'm going to be more diligent on my timing.:weee I so want to hatch again!  We can start a EBay hatch-a-long.

Joyryder,

Well? Did your eggs ever arrive? What's up? We wanna know. :)

Yes, the Post Office called early this morning. I picked up 15 chicks 7 Salmon Faverolle and 8 EEs. And 12 eggs - she sent 2 extras. A little disappointed though, there were suppose to be 10 sky blue eggs - Blue Black + Splash Ameraucanas, but they were a very pale blue, nothing special. And 4 were green. When I question her - she said they lightened up since the Spring and she thought only the 2 extras were green. I told her I would post a picture she said she didn't care she wasn't selling anymore on Ebay. Now she selling on Facebook. I really thought I was going to get the egg color she posted in the picture.
hu.gif
I guess I will find out in December. So I let them sit for almost 12 hours and then at 7pm I put 31 in the incubator. I omitted a badly cracked one. Three things I'm doing differently this time. Because they were shipped eggs, I'm not going to turn them until after I candle on Day 7. And I am keeping the vent closed as suggested by "Hatching Chickens 101". My temp has held steady at 99.6 degrees and humidity is 52%. And I marked, weigh and logged every egg. Who else has started their hatch?

Yes, the Post Office called early this morning. I picked up 15 chicks 7 Salmon Faverolle and 8 EEs. And 12 eggs - she sent 2 extras. A little disappointed though, there were suppose to be 10 sky blue eggs - Blue Black + Splash Ameraucanas, but they were a very pale blue, nothing special. And 4 were green. When I question her - she said they lightened up since the Spring and she thought only the 2 extras were green. I told her I would post a picture she said she didn't care she wasn't selling anymore on Ebay. Now she selling on Facebook. I really thought I was going to get the egg color she posted in the picture.
hu.gif
I guess I will find out in December. So I let them sit for almost 12 hours and then at 7pm I put 31 in the incubator. I omitted a badly cracked one. Three things I'm doing differently this time. Because they were shipped eggs, I'm not going to turn them until after I candle on Day 7. And I am keeping the vent closed as suggested by "Hatching Chickens 101". My temp has held steady at 99.6 degrees and humidity is 52%. And I marked, weigh and logged every egg. Who else has started their hatch?

I just set 8 eggs, Orloffs,

Congrats on the eggs and chicks! Sorry you didn't get the eggs you wanted, but hatching is fun no matter what! My eggs also have to be left upright for the first 7 days. I have them at around 47% and mine is still air so I have it at 101 F.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom