E-coli danger from washing chicken treat dishes in kitchen sink?

I do the big stuff outside with the hose and cleanser. The baby stuff from my hatching I wash well and then run through the dishwasher.

I am with you on the dishwasher..Miss P. It sanitizes them well. I just wash the big stuff outside then rinse with a mixture of bleach water.

I would, silkiechicken, but I don't think there's much we disagree about over this.
tongue.png

Like I said, I'm not arguing, I'm just saying that is the info that is out there for the masses on the topic. I have no assumptions about its validity.

Dishwasher is great
Bleach kills everything. I have a toilet brush (unused) that I clean the chicken things with.
I doubt e.coli can survive on a surface that has been cleaned with soap, water, and friction.

I have a separate set of dishes that I feed treats in; I don't stress out too much about their cleanliness, I rinse 'em out (outdoors) if they get pooey but I figure that they're approximately the same cleanliness as everything else in the chickens' environment
tongue.png

I carry treats and kitchen scraps out in 'people dishes' but then dump them into the chickens' bowl(s) to actually feed them. The worst that ever happens to the people dishes is that they may get set down on a shelf for a moment; I wash them in the kitchen sink same as anything else, although I do make sure not to let them sit in the sink w/ any other dishes in there, and wash them in the other half of the sink from any existing dirty dishes.

And we're all still alive so far
wink.png

Pat

And we're all still alive so far
wink.png

I like that.

The reason I asked is because I thought I was being careful, but when my sister visited last weekend, she brought up the e-coli thing, and then I started to question my methods. But I did tell her that I've been doing it this way for 10 months, and I'm never sick...

I wish I had a laundry room sink or basement slop sink, but we don't. Also, our outside water is turned off in the winter...

I think I'll add bleach to my routine, since so many of you recommended it. Thanks for all your comments!!​

Oh oh, I never thought about e coli. I throw the treat dishes dirt and all in the sink with everything else. My daughter does all the housework for us (she gets paid) She also has OCD, so I KNOW that sink is clean afterwards. We also have a dishwasher.
smile.png

Oops...I wash my CHICKENS in the kitchen sink!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I always use full strength bleach after I'm done; even though MY chickens don't have any germs.
lol.png

WHAT YOUR CHICKENS IN THE DISHWASHER????!!!!
lol.png
wink.png

I don't think you have to worry about putting the pet dishes in the dishwashwer next to the people plates, unless of course your dishwasher isn't functioning properly.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom