Early Mite Treatment: Diatomaceous Earth and Garlic Juice?

We aren't putting too much DE in with them since we know it can be an irritant. We don't want to use any permethrine products since we have cats. We wouldn't be feeding them the garlic juice we are spraying it on them.

With it being caught early we are hoping to treat it right away preferably with stuff we have on hand.
I have had cats and horses for over 40 yrs and now chooks for about 3 yrs.

The horse bug spray I use has permethrin in it and I have used it liberally on the horses, many times getting the cats sprayed also - cats never had issues. It was only when I got chooks and read here it is toxic to cats - who knew I was trying to kill my cats haha!

Anywhooo you will never get rid of those mites unless you use a proper product to eradicate them. This past summer I brought three pullets here who had lice and infected my gang. I used the horse bug spray, spraying under the wings and their bellies. I also sprayed the roosting and nesting boxes after removing all bedding. Repeated in two weeks and problem solved.

For you, I would do a quick spray under the wee ones wings, belly and especially their legs, make sure it gets to their skin. You can spray some on your hands (wear examination gloves if your chemical sensitive) and rub it on their legs etc if your worried about spraying.

Clean out the whole cage and get rid of the bedding, spray the cage and replace the bedding. Repeat in 2 weeks.

Any horse bug spray will do, I use a Canadian brand called Bronco spray, I am assuming you’re in the US so you can get a vastly greater variety down there.

Good luck! And you should post some photos of your babies I love seeing chickies 💕😊

@DobieLover has given you excellent advise.
I have cats, 2 of them are outdoors and go in and out of the coops and runs. I do use permethrin for my flock and my cats have not been harmed. I believe it is safe to use as long as you do not apply it directly to the cats.
If you are still hesitant, look into Ivermectin Pour On or Elector PSP. We can help you with dosages for these products. Elector is expensive but it is very easy to use, especially if your flock is large, and it works better than anything I've tried.
DE isn't going to get rid of lice or mites. Neither is garlic.
I wish I can get Elector up here 😟

But I am eggstatic that I have found my horse spray works so well on mites.

I been spraying it on the ticks on my horses now, when I find a tick I spray it with the bug spray in the evening and next morning I pick the dead tick off.

I need to make trip cross the border and pick up some stuff I can’t get here 😁😁

We aren't putting too much DE in with them since we know it can be an irritant. We don't want to use any permethrine products since we have cats. We wouldn't be feeding them the garlic juice we are spraying it on them.

With it being caught early we are hoping to treat it right away preferably with stuff we have on hand.
They will be preening themselves and consume it then, it's a common method for inoculation.

I have had cats and horses for over 40 yrs and now chooks for about 3 yrs.

The horse bug spray I use has permethrin in it and I have used it liberally on the horses, many times getting the cats sprayed also - cats never had issues. It was only when I got chooks and read here it is toxic to cats - who knew I was trying to kill my cats haha!

Anywhooo you will never get rid of those mites unless you use a proper product to eradicate them. This past summer I brought three pullets here who had lice and infected my gang. I used the horse bug spray, spraying under the wings and their bellies. I also sprayed the roosting and nesting boxes after removing all bedding. Repeated in two weeks and problem solved.

For you, I would do a quick spray under the wee ones wings, belly and especially their legs, make sure it gets to their skin. You can spray some on your hands (wear examination gloves if your chemical sensitive) and rub it on their legs etc if your worried about spraying.

Clean out the whole cage and get rid of the bedding, spray the cage and replace the bedding. Repeat in 2 weeks.

Any horse bug spray will do, I use a Canadian brand called Bronco spray, I am assuming you’re in the US so you can get a vastly greater variety down there.

Good luck! And you should post some photos of your babies I love seeing chickies 💕😊
I totally hadn't even considered horse fly spray lol! I did find some however we weren't 100% confident about spraying them directly so we put some on a paper towel and wiped everyone a bit. We did clean all their bedding and their cage and sprayed all of it however later we will probably need to go out and spray the chickens directly because when we were putting them back I did notice a couple suspicious dots on them.

I totally hadn't even considered horse fly spray lol! I did find some however we weren't 100% confident about spraying them directly so we put some on a paper towel and wiped everyone a bit. We did clean all their bedding and their cage and sprayed all of it however later we will probably need to go out and spray the chickens directly because when we were putting them back I did notice a couple suspicious dots on them.
20231104_165303.jpg

Here's mama Elmer (like the glue lol) with her new babies!

You need to get it on their skin, that's where the mites live and feed.

View attachment 3680687
Here's mama Elmer (like the glue lol) with her new babies!
Awwwww! So adorable! I just love the babies 😊

I have my satin silkie sitting on eggs - the brat! It’s terribly late in the year to hatch eggs here. But she is bound and determined, I think only 2 eggs are viable though. Just as well she can dote on two easier 😊💕

Make sure to get their legs and bellies, no need to soak them if using a spray. Just make sure to get to the skin if possible. Hard on babies they are just so darn fuzzy and cute 😊

I ended up spraying on my glove and working my hands under the wings and into the belly feathers on my hens they have such thick down feathers.

Have to say though, I am really pleased and surprised at how marvellous the horse spray worked.

Back
Top Bottom