Early stages of bumble foot? No scab

cor_a19

Hatching
May 17, 2023
Hey all,

I’m a new chicken owner and one of my ladies started getting a noticeable lump on top of her foot a few weeks ago. It doesn’t seem to bother her at all. She is still running and digging around. The swelling is also only on the top of her foot and I haven’t seen any sort of scab yet. We thought it may be the early stages of bumble foot, so we plan to start soaking her foot each night, spraying Vetericyn, and wrapping to see how it does. After one soak, the photos are below (along with one pre soak photo).

Any advice on the best course of action to take? Is there any risk that soaking her foot daily would soften it and make it more susceptible to further injury? Do we need to wrap it after each soak if there isn’t an open wound? Any advice is helpful!!!

IMG_8538.jpeg
IMG_8575.jpeg
IMG_8579.jpeg
IMG_8583.jpeg

I wouldn't wrap it, just do what you are doing. Continue to watch it to see if it starts to go down, or if it gets worse, if any kind of scab starts to form. Even the tiniest of wounds can start bumblefoot, if bacteria gets in. If it continues to get larger, then you may have to open it up and clean it out, but see if topical treatments and soaks help.

Back
Top Bottom