Early summer moult - is this normal?

bantamb8

Hatching
Aug 25, 2021
Hi everyone,
I have 7 free range Belgian bantam hens, ranging from about 5 to 6 years old. This past week I've noticed a few have gone off lay and seem to be starting to moult - displaying typical moody moulting behaviour/paler combs as well. It's early summer in Australia and I think this is a bit unusual for my flock.
I've checked for mites and I don't suspect worms, and can't see any other signs that point to disease. I get a bit anxious about their health in their older age so I'm just wondering if the occasional summer soft moult is nothing to worry about. Thanks!

I am inclined to think,,,, that is a soft molt. Another thing to consider, and look into is,,,, Are they maybe going broody??? Broody hens like to remove feathers from their chest, to better transfer warmth to the eggs. Look them over,,,,,, but most of alllllllllllllll, DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH :hugs

Hi everyone,
I have 7 free range Belgian bantam hens, ranging from about 5 to 6 years old. This past week I've noticed a few have gone off lay and seem to be starting to moult - displaying typical moody moulting behaviour/paler combs as well. It's early summer in Australia and I think this is a bit unusual for my flock.
I've checked for mites and I don't suspect worms, and can't see any other signs that point to disease. I get a bit anxious about their health in their older age so I'm just wondering if the occasional summer soft moult is nothing to worry about. Thanks!
Did they molt in the fall/winter?
As long as they are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.

Did they molt in the fall/winter?
As long as they are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.
They do their big moult in mid autumn (March-April here). Checking again today, and the feather loss seems fairly small and everyone's eating, drinking, pooping as normal - I guess this is just a soft moult!

Back
Top Bottom