East RIver - South Dakota

I couldn't pass up that deal either... Mom and brother both gave me hell for spending that much money. I pulled up Legg's site and priced out a 3 year old charcoal male alone from them and they wanted $1,000 for just that. I'm kicking myself for not buying the pair of purple's and purple pied he had too.

The crap I saw even at the local clinic was shocking. In the middle of winter, some idiot dropped off newborn kittens in their mailbox over night. Of course they were froze to death by morning when the clinic opened. Had a corgi that got a leg caught in a feed grinder...owners brought it in right away for treatment, but never bothered to keep the bandage clean/dry or even change it so it ended up with a gross mess that had to be amputated later. Had some sort of terrier thrown into a burn pit and neighbor lady pulled it out. Managed to save it but tons of care afterwards. Lots of hunting dogs mysteriously shot and left for dead. A little old guy came in with a matted up maltese and wanted long flowing hair on it. Groomer would have had to shave it since it was so bad and guy had it put to sleep instead. My own co-worker had 2 meticulously groomed mini poodles that were only 2-3 years old. She was going to Europe for a week and refused to board the dogs. I even offered to take them home with me.... Came into clinic next day and saw records of her euthanizing them. About a month later she had the nerve to ask me if I knew anyone that bred cocker spaniels. Ughhhh

As far as natural remedies, there is a time and place for everything. Antibiotics are great as long as they are not overused and proper withdrawal period are followed. I've been to those farms where they are certified as totally 'organic' though and cringed too. Ever been on a dairy farm in the middle of summer that has no chemicals in place for controlling flies and such? The one guy had a cow with a retained placenta and waited for over 2 weeks to get a vet out there... She was already running a high fever and we pulled a rotten smelly mess out of her. Farmer refused to give her anything to treat the infection and you know dang well she wouldn't be alive much longer.

I couldn't pass up that deal either... Mom and brother both gave me hell for spending that much money. I pulled up Legg's site and priced out a 3 year old charcoal male alone from them and they wanted $1,000 for just that. I'm kicking myself for not buying the pair of purple's and purple pied he had too.

The crap I saw even at the local clinic was shocking. In the middle of winter, some idiot dropped off newborn kittens in their mailbox over night. Of course they were froze to death by morning when the clinic opened. Had a corgi that got a leg caught in a feed grinder...owners brought it in right away for treatment, but never bothered to keep the bandage clean/dry or even change it so it ended up with a gross mess that had to be amputated later. Had some sort of terrier thrown into a burn pit and neighbor lady pulled it out. Managed to save it but tons of care afterwards. Lots of hunting dogs mysteriously shot and left for dead. A little old guy came in with a matted up maltese and wanted long flowing hair on it. Groomer would have had to shave it since it was so bad and guy had it put to sleep instead. My own co-worker had 2 meticulously groomed mini poodles that were only 2-3 years old. She was going to Europe for a week and refused to board the dogs. I even offered to take them home with me.... Came into clinic next day and saw records of her euthanizing them. About a month later she had the nerve to ask me if I knew anyone that bred cocker spaniels. Ughhhh

As far as natural remedies, there is a time and place for everything. Antibiotics are great as long as they are not overused and proper withdrawal period are followed. I've been to those farms where they are certified as totally 'organic' though and cringed too. Ever been on a dairy farm in the middle of summer that has no chemicals in place for controlling flies and such? The one guy had a cow with a retained placenta and waited for over 2 weeks to get a vet out there... She was already running a high fever and we pulled a rotten smelly mess out of her. Farmer refused to give her anything to treat the infection and you know dang well she wouldn't be alive much longer.

You definitely should've bought the Purple Pied. I've seen a few people ask where can they buy them. The only person that I could think that would have them would be a UPA member like Legg's Peafowl Farm, Rocking B-A-B Ranch, or others like them.

Where did common sense go? Some owners.... This is just my belief, the only reason something should die is: for food, when protecting yourself or other people/animals, or to end the pain. I would have a problem with the owner of the Maltese and the mini poodles.

I agree, that there are some great natural remedies or preventatives that have the perfect time to be used. There are lots of people that I've seen that want to use antibiotics when not required. I've seen on other poultry sights when a bird needs to be wormed, the person wanted to use an antibiotic.

Darn this heat, just lost an EE hen.
2639.png

** I apologize for the original language, I didnt realize it was language haha **

Last edited:
Anyone have any extra Polish hens they are will to part with? I had 2, 12 week old girls and a Roo. They were out free ranging with my 9 standard size hens and standard size roo.I have lost both girls to something, just disappeared no sign of them anywhere. The poor Roo is lost with out them. Would prefer something similar on age to the roo but maybe it doesn't matter.My 12 yr old daughter picked them out this Spring and considered them 'hers', she is hearbroken. Please let me know.

Anyone have any extra Polish hens they are will to part with? I had 2, 12 week old girls and a Roo. They were out free ranging with my 9 standard size hens and standard size roo.I have lost both girls to something, just disappeared no sign of them anywhere. The poor Roo is lost with out them. Would prefer something similar on age to the roo but maybe it doesn't matter.My 12 yr old daughter picked them out this Spring and considered them 'hers', she is hearbroken. Please let me know.

Where in SD are you? I am about 2 hours east of Brookings into MN, but sometimes have a brother that gets out to Sioux Falls area. I have 4 bantam white crested black polish juveniles left that were hatched in mid to late May. 1 looks like a cockerel, 2 are for sure pullets, and 4th I'm still on hedge about yet. They are all a bit too over marked in crest to be considered show caliber, however they are out of show stock. $40 for all 4 ...have to go together since its the last I have of that color and I'm not just keeping a lone cockerel. I may have a couple pair of bantam buff laced available but price will be higher on those. Little too hot to ship right now yet....

Roughly 17 miles South of Brookings. My concern would be the extra roo. I assume Polish roos are similar to standard roos. Totally understand not wanting to keep one lone roo.
Where in SD are you?  I am about 2 hours east of Brookings into MN, but sometimes have a brother that gets out to Sioux Falls area.  I have 4 bantam white crested black polish juveniles left that were hatched in mid to late May.  1 looks like a cockerel, 2 are for sure pullets, and 4th I'm still on hedge about yet.  They are all a bit too over marked in crest to be considered show caliber, however they are out of show stock.  $40 for all 4 ...have to go together since its the last I have of that color and I'm not just keeping a lone cockerel.  I may have a couple pair of bantam buff laced available but price will be higher on those.  Little too hot to ship right now yet....

Darn this heat, just lost an EE hen.
2639.png

** I apologize for the original language, I didnt realize it was language haha **

I'm sorry about losing your hen. That always sucks. I had an issue that I thought was from the heat, I lost a hen over summer, then others started acting funny. It turns out that I bought some birds that were hiding some kind of URI disease, now the whole flock has it. They are mostly over the sneezing now, but over half the girls are pretty far past their prime anyway, so I'm going to just cull my whole flock :( Ducks included. Then clean the heck out of the coop and run and let it sit for winter.

I'm comforting myself by promising to buy myself nice show quality bred chicks of the breeds I like best next spring. Making sure the birds I'm getting are healthy! But being eggless for almost a year sounds awful. And I've had some of these girls for 4 years. It'll be tough to part with all of them at once.

Hello! I am new to raising chicken's. I'm from Redifeld, SD and with the upcoming storm coming this week I was wondering what ideas everyone has on getting the coop/run ready?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom