East texas?

Y'know, I have a nice rooster and eligible hens, but I have never hatched from them. What I have heard is that it is super-difficult to get them to hatch. Right now the rooster isn't with his females.... Do you want some Isbar eggs sometime in the future?
I am considering it. I need get my incubator up and running.

From my experience it is very difficult to get a good hatch out of isbars. They either don't grow past 10 days. Die at hatch or are deformed. I am good at hatching and I won't pay for isbar eggs anymore.

From my experience it is very difficult to get a good hatch out of isbars. They either don't grow past 10 days. Die at hatch or are deformed. I am good at hatching and I won't pay for isbar eggs anymore.
Well, that is good to know. I was considering a Swedish variety simply because I am building a "memorial coop" for my Mother-in-Law. I know it sounds odd. Plant a tree is usually the way to go. But, there really isn't a variety of tree that bears her name unlike my late Father-in-Law. My Mother-in-Law passed last week and she was a second generation Swede. So, when I heard blue and Swedish (Her favorite color) it intrigued me. I may just keep the coop build blue and white and put my blue Americanas in there, with some geraniums out front (her favorite flower). I suspect attempting some Isbars that would die after 10 days or are deformed might not play to well with the wife. Long story short, thanks for being honest with me about the breed.

Well, that is good to know.  I was considering a Swedish variety simply because I am building a "memorial coop" for my Mother-in-Law.  I know it sounds odd.  Plant a tree is usually the way to go.  But, there really isn't a variety of tree that bears her name unlike my late Father-in-Law.  My Mother-in-Law passed last week and she was a second generation Swede.  So, when I heard blue and Swedish (Her favorite color) it intrigued me. I may just keep the coop build blue and white and put my blue Americanas in there, with some geraniums out front (her favorite flower).  I suspect attempting some Isbars that would die after 10 days or are deformed might not play to well with the wife. Long story short, thanks for being honest with me about the breed.

You could get a different experience than me. I tried 3 times with 12 eggs each time. I got 2 chicks to stay alive after a month. One died around 2 months.

One of the problems with Blue Isbars is the rarety. At one point there were reputedly fewer than 200 of them left. People who tried to breed this in-bred chicken breed were breeding together brothers-and-sisters - and the gene pool was very fragile. Since that time awareness has dawned that at least trying to get different lines and birds from different premises and definitey as un-related as possible -- and the success rate had gone up for hatching and growing out Isbars. There is a thread with a lot of recent information (and examples of successfully hatched birds)

Well, that is good to know. I was considering a Swedish variety simply because I am building a "memorial coop" for my Mother-in-Law. I know it sounds odd. Plant a tree is usually the way to go. But, there really isn't a variety of tree that bears her name unlike my late Father-in-Law. My Mother-in-Law passed last week and she was a second generation Swede. So, when I heard blue and Swedish (Her favorite color) it intrigued me. I may just keep the coop build blue and white and put my blue Americanas in there, with some geraniums out front (her favorite flower). I suspect attempting some Isbars that would die after 10 days or are deformed might not play to well with the wife. Long story short, thanks for being honest with me about the breed.

What a very thoughtful and cool thing to do for your M-I-L -- sorry for your familys loss -- and what a great tribute.
You could get a different experience than me. I tried 3 times with 12 eggs each time. I got 2 chicks to stay alive after a month. One died around 2 months.
Sorry that you had bad experience with them.

I guess my Isbar hen from the original GFF is a tiny little squirt and she lays a big egg -- probably my best and most consistent layer -- in cold or in this heat. Eggs are green too - which is cool since my legbars are bluer.

For my part - I don't want to be without them because they are so beautiful and productive and good keepers...so I plan to always have them. -- someone here in Woodville has Isbars from a couple different lines... Mine are from the original GFF lines via Samantha Kellerman in the Hill Country and from Omega Hills Farms....

One of the problems with Blue Isbars is the rarety. At one point there were reputedly fewer than 200 of them left. People who tried to breed this in-bred chicken breed were breeding together brothers-and-sisters - and the gene pool was very fragile. Since that time awareness has dawned that at least trying to get different lines and birds from different premises and definitey as un-related as possible -- and the success rate had gone up for hatching and growing out Isbars. There is a thread with a lot of recent information (and examples of successfully hatched birds)

What a very thoughtful and cool thing to do for your M-I-L -- sorry for your familys loss -- and what a great tribute.
Sorry that you had bad experience with them.

I guess my Isbar hen from the original GFF is a tiny little squirt and she lays a big egg -- probably my best and most consistent layer -- in cold or in this heat. Eggs are green too - which is cool since my legbars are bluer.

For my part - I don't want to be without them because they are so beautiful and productive and good keepers...so I plan to always have them. -- someone here in Woodville has Isbars from a couple different lines... Mine are from the original GFF lines via Samantha Kellerman in the Hill Country and from Omega Hills Farms....

Thanks. I am not sure if I will have it built with everything going on by the time she gets back, and finding geraniums in the Lowe's garden section proved unproductive. But, I plan on getting some framing done anyway.

Well, its built and I have 8 pullet Chocolate/Mottled Orpingtons living there, along with two roosters and a hen.

Back
Top Bottom