East texas?

Talking about chickens, and spring, and hatching -- we are always talking about those things aren't we? - Is there anyone who has excess capacity to incubate a couple of dozen eggs?

My two incubators are little (7 eggs) and full -- and I am working on a project where only 1/8 of the hatchlings will be keepers. If someone around me (driving distance to Woodivlle, TX) has the ability to hatch some eggs - I would like to work out a 'deal' with you regarding a high volume hatch. Please PM me if you do. Thanks.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Well I'm a fair bit north of there. It's not the kinda of night life/excitement you'll find where you're coming from... The bigger towns/cities (Palestine/Athens/Tyler) have your standard restaurants and such and you'll be a few hours from Houston to the south or north about an hour to Dallas. Tyler being the biggest city near both places. Being on the east side of the state you'll have green and water, which is the opposite of the west side of the state. It will be hot and humid for many months through the summer... the further south the more humidity. Not too cold in the winter, the rare ice/snow storm. TX is a pretty big state, and there's loads of stuff to do depending on what you're looking for. Lots of outdoors stuff. Land and homes are still affordable outside the high density cities like Dallas/Ft Worth/Houston/etc. Really, you can find pretty much whatever you want to do within a reasonable distance (<100 miles) from either place. Welcome in advance. Really nice folks down here! You won't believe the difference until you experience it.

Thanks for the response! It sounds like a perfect place for me. I visited a few years back and remember how beautiful it was. I'm just so done with winter and would like to go someone warmer with less snow. I really like that east Texas still has seasons but very little or no snow in the winter! My brother and his girlfriend also live in Texas and my parents have expressed interest in moving to hill country as well. It would be nice if the whole family was able to move to that area.

I'm visiting next week and I'm very excited about it. The practice is rapidly growing and it seems like an awesome opportunity. Hopefully I like everything as much in person! Likely, you guys will have a backyard poultry vet in east Texas by July. :)

Last edited:
Quote:
In my case as well as a number of other East TX folks I know (personally and online) from over on BYH, what we REALLY would all love to have more of is large animal/livestock vets, specifically those with knowledge/experience with goats and sheep! It's amazing how easy it is to find a "pet vet" and even livestock vets who specialize in cattle, but how nearly impossible it is to find ANY vet that knows anything about goats specifically. You'd probably be surprised at how many folks have goats for pets/dairy/meat, and in this country they are just not even considered. It's difficult to find a qualified/interested vet. I guess there's just "no money" in it ... :( But all that said, If you get hooked up with a good, growing practice, I'm sure you'll love it down here. The people are actually friendly! I know, , really! Folks actually say "HI" to complete strangers!

what we REALLY would all love to have more of is large animal/livestock vets, specifically those with knowledge/experience with goats and sheep! It's amazing how eiiasy it is to find a "pet vet" and even livestock vets who specialize in cattle, but how nearly impossible it is to find ANY vet that knows anything about goats specifically. You'd probably be surprised at how many folks have goats for pets/dairy/meat, and in this country they are just not even considered. It's difficult to find a qualified/interested vet. I guess there's just "no money" in it ... :/
Well, @Latestarter, I may have good news for you. I have found a local (East Texas) Vet, who actually owns Spanish Cross goats. I spoke to him on the phone and haven't had need to take my goats to him yet, but he sounds like he knows his stuff. I mainly wanted to make sure he would be available if we had problems when our two new goats kidded in March and April. I'm not sure if I should be putting business info in a post. But, if you want his contact info, I will be happy to text it to you. In answer to @Chickerdoodle13, I do not know if this Vet treats chickens. Sorry. :/. I've never had need to take my chickens, ducks or turkey to a Vet. I suppose I should ask about chickens when I take a stool sample (from my goats) in to be tested.

Last edited:
Well, @Latestarter, I may have good news for you. I have found a local (East Texas) Vet, who actually owns Spanish Cross goats. I spoke to him on the phone and haven't had need to take my goats to him yet, but he sounds like he knows his stuff. I mainly wanted to make sure he would be available if we had problems when our two new goats kidded in March and April. I'm not sure if I should be putting business info in a post. But, if you want his contact info, I will be happy to text it to you.

In answer to @Chickerdoodle13, I do not know if this Vet treats chickens. Sorry. :/. I've never had need to take my chickens, ducks or turkey to a Vet. I suppose I should ask about chickens when I take a stool sample (from my goats) in to be tested.

Hopefully if I like this job opportunity when I visit on Thursday, I will be a new backyard poultry vet for the area! I graduate from vet school in May and backyard chickens are my passion. They are looking at having me work in a practice in Tyler, TX and it seems they are interested in letting me practice with birds and other small animals.

I am also willing to castrate pet pigs and if the practice lets me, I would consider treating small pet goats as well. It's a small animal practice though, so it just depends what kind of animals they feel comfortable bringing in.

I will keep everyone updated though. Pretty sure I'm going to go to east Texas but it just depends which practice is the best fit for me.

Hopefully if I like this job opportunity when I visit on Thursday, I will be a new backyard poultry vet for the area! I graduate from vet school in May and backyard chickens are my passion. They are looking at having me work in a practice in Tyler, TX and it seems they are interested in letting me practice with birds and other small animals.

I am also willing to castrate pet pigs and if the practice lets me, I would consider treating small pet goats as well. It's a small animal practice though, so it just depends what kind of animals they feel comfortable bringing in.

I will keep everyone updated though. Pretty sure I'm going to go to east Texas but it just depends which practice is the best fit for me.
Yay! Good luck and keep us informed.

Whenever I have had chicken needs I have gone to TVMDL, but that is a one-way stop to get necropsy. https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/ Dr. Randall Moore there is a very nice person - and it seems that the lab is him and a couple of technicians and someone in the office (Center, TX) Their work is geared toward the bigproducers. However, they will see individual chicken raisers.

A vet that would treat chickens would be welcome. Now, how to overcome the downside that chickens are considered cheap livestock, and no one wants to pay money for their care. Alas.

Indeed @chickat that's a major issue... not only for the chicken owner but for the vet (& practice) as well. The vet needs to charge enough to make a (good) living, and the animal being treated needs to be worth the "cost of admission" so to speak. Since most chickens can be replaced for a few dollars, it's very difficult to "justify" spending hundreds to "fix" them. Look forward to updates @Chickerdoodle13 :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I ended up visiting East Texas a few weeks ago. I was offered a position, but I ended up deciding to pursue other opportunities in Arizona, since it looks like my family will more than likely move there if they can sell their house this summer. I had a good time visiting Texas though and I even got to see my brother for an evening. Everyone was super nice and I'm sure I will be back to visit. I would still like to see Austin and spend more time in Fort Worth.

Hey guys,

I ended up visiting East Texas a few weeks ago. I was offered a position, but I ended up deciding to pursue other opportunities in Arizona, since it looks like my family will more than likely move there if they can sell their house this summer. I had a good time visiting Texas though and I even got to see my brother for an evening. Everyone was super nice and I'm sure I will be back to visit. I would still like to see Austin and spend more time in Fort Worth.
Aww, Texa's loss of a good vet -- however, best of luck with where ever your adventures may lead you and your family!

Back
Top Bottom