Easter chicks, spraddle spray leg, did the fixes on this site work for you?

I was lucky I guess once mine have the tape on they have always been able to start supporting themselves. This one that was a little more affected I had in a very narrow container with a folded hand towel that almost gave him no other choice than to be standing /supported upright.

I hatched his little guy out after his egg was left behind after his 7 nest mates hatched, and mamma had left the nest. His egg was quite cold when I found it, so I popped it down my bra and 24 hrs later he hatched. He spent his first 8 days in that tiny jar. I did take him out for little exercise runs in a small cardboard box. Once I knew he was strong enough I took him out to his mamma and siblings, he jumped out of my hands, hit the ground running and was completely excepted by all. Phew .......

I fed mine some egg-wash and bread with small bird seeds always scattered about for him to pick at.

I found some videos I had taken, here is a link for you to look at them hope it works.

Oh my gosh this is so helpful! My 2-3 day olds look just about like your day 2 video! The third one is much better (born Easter night). It gives me hope. I have been so upset. That is AWESOME you hatched that one in your bra! lol made me laugh. I SO appreciate you showing me these and your support. I'm going to try to take a video tonight and upload it to YouTube of these 3. Thank you!

Update 3/29 4 pm. Two of the chicks (flopsy and mopsy - appropriate Easter chick names) are still not greatly improving...on day 2 of splints, and one has raw bedsores on its hock. I've put a piece of soft foam to cover it but it keeps slipping. One chick, the BIG one (Peter cottontail lol) - who I did an assisted hatch with after 8 hours stuck in a 90% unzipped shell and was at first the WORST of the trio, is doing so much better! I think he will be ok. I am really working with the other 2 but not feeling hopeful
1f625.png

I would try putting in some towels, all lumpy and bumpy so they are can lean into the bumps and be supported, also the towel will give grip and make it less of an impact on their feet/legs.

I did this and made sure mine had a run in the box so I could check its leg control/strength, and to check that he was drinking and eating.

I'm not sure how your set up, I was lucky I could really contain mine it had such a small area it could not do much walking basically just stand. By that it was next to its feed and water at all times.

I have been doing the cup therapy, in tiny wooden crates with shelf liner and jam jars, and in little chick pens (4"x5" glass storage container that has shelf liner to give them grip. They just don't seem to be eating or drinking and still sit malpositioned :( I'm getting slightly obsessed with saving them so I'm putting probably way too much time into this and feeling mentally and emotionally drained. I thought they were doing a little better (well one is for sure) but I just don't know about the other 2. Sigh, this is the hardest part of raising chickens. Seeing these otherwise perfectly healthy babies crippled.

Just thinking .... I have seen what some people call "cup therapy". maybe you could try it ....

Here is a link to some good info ...

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

They make mention of cup therapy ... but its not really rocket science - you stick it in a cup well supported inside the cup.

Accessing food and water is the issue ....

I wonder if somewhere there is a guide as to how much water/food they need during the taping where they can't access food and water alone? I'm a nicu nurse and our babies have a ml/kg/day for kilo calories...so I'm a little OCD on wondering how much to feed and water while they are cupped. I'm considering leaving mine like you did yours, and just providing what they need...but I'd like a guide. My teenage son and 8 year old have offered to take over when I work my 48 hour stretch of work this weekend. I am probably way too emotionally invested, but I know all you chicken people understand. lol. I can't NOT do anything. I'm already bonded to these babies fiercely. I've never hand raised chicks quite like this before. I don't know what I'd do without my BYC support. I tell everyone I've learned EVERYTHING I know from this site. And the emotional/moral support is so helpful because not everyone understands ...

Last edited:
I wish I could say drop them off here and Ill baby-sit
love.gif

Dont forget chicks have a neat inbuilt indicator their crop you can see when they are filling up .... I'm not sure on milligrams and ounces.

I turned off the incubator today...4 eggs that did not hatch had perfectly formed chicks, that looked fully developed but did not hatch. Is 17 eggs in a brinsea 20 too much? Americauna eggs. I'm still thinking my power outages were a big part. Even though I lugged them to my car each time to plug them in the outlet the drafts, high temp in my running car and such could have impacted hatch. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom