Easter Egger club!

2 of my EE's the bigger one is Sissy/Sisco
Little one is starting to feather our in lots of white. Small one back right I think is going to feather our in dark brown

Last edited:
That is a very common EE hen color . Comes in a range of shades from light to dark . Many here call it partridge but it is not a SOP partridge color .Traces back to South America . I have seen it called sweet potato in some of the South American stocks kept by native people that have made it north . I know the common story is that EE are mixes but some hatchery flocks still have this color . So nothing traceable that I can see .
I think this color could be easily made into a 'purebred' ameracauna.

I think this color could be easily made into a 'purebred' ameracauna.

This color is not in any standard and no genetic studies done that I know of . So it is a uphill battle . Plus my fellow Ameraucana breeders would likely throw a fit . Its best chance is as one of the South American tribe names for the breed and sweet potato for a color . The males are basic wild type in color with the hen color changed . Much like wheaten and partridge males . Yes the genes would breed true with a little work . The problem as a Ameraucana color is the breeders have put a lot of effort into distinguishing Ameraucana from EE and this would only muddy the waters .

Well it's not a very interesting color anyway. But isn't that the same way the current Ameracaunas were made?

Well sort of . There was a big fuss at the time over what a Araucana should look like. The tufted rumples won out . Well the good ole boy system really . We were told the bearded tailed birds would never be in the standard as long as Araucana was part of the name . We picked Ameraucana as the name . Various members had favorite colors in mind . So we all worked toward a breed type and 8 colors . ABA acceptance came first and then APA . We went thru the proper channels and got accepted after a delay . Seems all the documentation got lost by the APA standard committee . Anyway we were accepted the established way . Araucana got in without ever having a qualifying meet with five breeders for five years in each color variety .

Here are some pics of my 4 week old EE. Can anyone help me figure out what sex Charlie is? Only thing he/she has peculiar about him/her is a long kind of fanned out tail

For reference, here are Charlie's pics when he/she was a day old.

Is there any way to work backward and figure out what breeds your EE is? Mine is (I think) pretty typically colored: yellow/gold head fading to dark grey at the tail. She doesn't have cheeks yet, but they might come in after her juvie molt. She's got great green legs. (towards the end of my leg here, pictured with our partridge rock, welsummer, and speckled sussex)

She is a very good looking bird!
How old is she? I have 2 EE's that at one time looked very similar to her...but you should see them now! VERY beautiful when their adult plumage came in and both different! One of the things I like about the EE "NON"-breed is the lack of a standard to live up to! Either they are good layers or they are not, either they are well tempered or they are not, either they are pretty or they are not....I've yet to see an ugly EE though!

And that's nothing against the pure bred birds or breeders, I also appreciate a good "To Standard" pure bred!

And Jerry, correct me if I am wrong..but the statement "Ameraucanas came from EE's" would be more correct than "EE's came from Ameraucana's"...true?

She is a very good looking bird!
Thank you! I think she's very pretty, and as she is my only EE, I don't mind having one of the more common EE colorations. She helps complete our "chicken rainbow" - we have all the heather brown-partridge-mahogany range, and some white & B&W, so her golden yellow fills out the spectrum. Her color also fits her name, Waffles, perfectly!

She's 9.5 weeks old, and just starting to drop a few feathers; I can't wait to see her adult plumage! What did yours that were similar to her end up looking like?

I hope she's a good layer for us; she's got awesome green legs and a pea comb, so I think our chances of blue or green eggs are pretty good (but of course, you never know!). As for temperament, she will hang out on my shoulders and head whenever she gets a chance, but squawks like the dickens if you try to pick her up. I'll post video soon of her "chicken button" sound that she makes whenever you touch her back.

Back
Top Bottom