Easter egger Roosters chicks question

annmarie33

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
I have an Easter egger rooster and a Rhode Island red (I think) I have 3 of their eggs on day 18 in the incubator. The eggs are tiny but I'm hoping they will hatch. My question is does the Easter egg gene carry over if just 1 is EE? Or is it a toss up and maybe one will lay colored eggs? Thank you!

Assuming one of the parents (I'm assuming you're referring to the rooster on the right in your photo) is in fact an EE and not just a mixed breed, he will carry one blue egg gene and one brown egg gene. Since he can pass either gene to his offspring, his offspring could lay either green or brown eggs (blue egg gene X brown egg gene = green eggs).

The left is the hen. And I got them from a hatchery. How do you know for sure it is an Easter egger and not a mixed breed? Green eggs would be awesome! So interesting

The left is the hen. And I got them from a hatchery. How do you know for sure it is an Easter egger and not a mixed breed? Green eggs would be awesome! So interesting

Pea combs, muffs, beards, and green legs are a strong indicator that a chicken is an Easter Egger. However if a bird is lacking some of these things, then it becomes impossible to say for sure whether or not they are just a mixed breed or an EE until the eggs are laid. Green eggs = Easter Egger.

Does it seem from this picture my rooster has all of those? I never thought of his legs green but more grey blue but maybe they are green to chicken standards. What does the comb need to look like? I think he has muffs definitely a beard

Back
Top Bottom