Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

the butt in the front is a mistake (orp-roo) but hopefully the cream ones in back are girls???

Not sure about the first one, but the last two have single combs and none of them have beards or muffs, so they are probably not EEs. Can you give any more info... leg color? where you got them? possible parentage? Age makes a difference when trying to sex them, but to me they are all girls until they turn into roosters!
lol.png
I am confused. Our EE does not appear to have a beard or a muff, but we know he hatched out of a blue egg!

I am confused. Our EE does not appear to have a beard or a muff, but we know he hatched out of a blue egg!

That only means his mother was an EE. When you mix an EE with a non-EE, you might get offspring that carries blue without the other typical traits. Or, you might get a regular old barnyard mix. IMO, one EE parent does not automatically = EE since the designation implies the blue egg gene and it may have been lost in the crossing. It's obviously trickier to tell with roosters.

6wks and iso glad that they are ee s
When I posted on americaunas some one wrote back to go through the last 3months to get clues on there sex
What snobs. Now if all 6 are girls nothing short of a gold egg would make me happier. I'll try to get better pics next week. Thanks everyone

So this is Curry...any thoughts on when and what color her egg will be?

Also, is this what a pea comb looks like all grown up?

I think you're right about EEs laying any color, really. I suppose it depends on what and how often they are crossed away from the blue/green egg gene. From my research, it's the comb and the ears that are related to the blue/green gene rather than legs and beard/muffs, but even with the comb and ears, you can still be completely surprised with what you get! I think that anything can happen with an EE, really. It's one of the things I enjoy most about them is that they are a constant surprise!
roll.png
So this is Curry...any thoughts on when and what color her egg will be? Also, is this what a pea comb looks like all grown up?
Hey nickee it is really hard to tell. Using genetics to determine egg color is tough but you do have a beautiful bird. A few pages back they talked about how some try to use the color of the legs and the the beard to guess what the egg color is. I have a white EE and a dark headed brown body and both lay a light blue green egg.

Back
Top Bottom