Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hi all I know it's still a little early they are only 2 weeks old but any guesses on these 5 Easter eggers.

EQ was born Dec 21st, so he is 5 1/2 weeks old. Daddy is an EE and Mama I believe to be a Production Red.

Any guesses??

The comb is a little pink but I wouldn't give up on the chick just yet. Three row or one? Not sure what a PR pullet's comb looks like at this age. And the red feathering is going to make it hard to pick out the splotchy mahogany colored patches on the wings if it is a boy. Can't see the legs so no guesses based on thick legs (or not).

Hi all I know it's still a little early they are only 2 weeks old but any guesses on these 5 Easter eggers.

Other than leg thickness and comb, I don't think there is much you can guess about EE gender at 2 weeks. The splotchy patches on the males' wings won't show up until later. The one in front in the second picture has a very upright stance which I've read can suggest male, but sometimes they are just checking stuff out. I think they'll be generally Partridge patterned.

Bruce

Thanks everyone! I was getting worried that my new 5 wk old chick was a roo (I have a very cranky neighbor who probably wouldn't like a roo). This thread helped me identify her as an EE vs an Ameraucana and ease my concern about her pea cluster-like comb.

Thanks everyone!  I was getting worried that my new 5 wk old chick was a roo (I have a very cranky neighbor who probably wouldn't like a roo).  This thread helped me identify her as an EE vs an Ameraucana and ease my concern about her pea cluster-like comb. 

I have one like that -- pea x rose comb. The comb looked very much like what people kept calling a 3-row and I was sure she was a boy until someone kindly explained how her feathers were 100% female patterned. She lays pretty aqua eggs. The row counting technique also made my obvious cockerel less obvious -- he had pea x single with a pronounced center ridge. Unless a chick is pure for pea comb, forget the rows.

I'm curious how much you can guess at adult coloring based on the down of the chicks... can you at all? We have two little chipmunk patterned babies with nice puffy cheeks, one little reddish brown EE and a black and brown EE with white and black wings. They're only a week old. I know you can't tell gender at all yet, I'm just curious what they might look like as hens/roos.

Huckle

Novalee

Tiny (in the front)

Buffle

Sorry if this is not a good place to post this! You can be sure I'll be coming back for gender guesses when they're older, even through I've read at least 100 pages and I think I'm starting to see what coloring patterns you all are talking about :)

Back
Top Bottom